Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

uConnect Radio Limitations?

This is a discussion on uConnect Radio Limitations? within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Jee whiz and to think it was only a few months ago and I got my first Ipod ...I dont even have a smart phone ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: uConnect Radio Limitations?

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is wishing he could win the lotto

Vehicle
    2004 Durango waiting to be traded in on Dart Limited ordered on 8/17 1984 Dodge stepside 4x2 318-2
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jee whiz and to think it was only a few months ago and I got my first Ipod ...I dont even have a smart phone and now I am gonna have this tech wiz of a car...baffling better take a crash course in all this stuff
    limited with all but the block heater 1.4 MultiAirTurbo/6 Speed Manual

Super cool car!!!!!!!!!

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is looking for wheels!

Las Vegas for now... Cali bound in Aug!!!
    Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    42 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepo View Post
    Does your MUCH bigger library have to be "re-compiled" every time you start up or is it johnny on the spot?
    It took like 5 seconds once I hit the browse button. It does play the music right away though when I plugged the USB back into the car though.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is Finally got mine! Super
    Excited, having so much fun!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart
    Liked
    38 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so this is going to get a little technical because I believe it's what they OP wanted. There is a limit to the number of files readable on a memory card or iPod. This limit however is determined the number of files in a particular folder, and the name of the file. It's a limitation on the FAT32 file system format that the device is formatted in.
    If you've ever been hunting around on an iPod for your music trying to copy it back to your computer you would realize that iTunes separates your music in seemingly random folders, and gives them all 4 character names [+4 for the file extension]. This is to ensure the most compatibility with most operating system and the structure in which files can be accessed. The theoretical number of files you can have in one folder formatted in FAT32 [typical memory card format] is 65,563. It shrinks down if you have long file names in the directory. A reported case of 30 character file names was only able to fit 16,384 files in one particular folder. So if you have a file [*Linkin' Park - In the End.mp3] you'd be able to hold aprox 16,000 songs with this lengh name in one particular folder. This is a limitation of the disk format. To get around this, if you break up your files into folders ie Artist or Album, you would be able to hold just about any number of songs or files. If you want to fit more music in a folder, shorten the file name, and if you have the correct ID3 information it should still show up correctly on the UConnect.
    fnkychkn and BluLimit like this.
    Limited - Blue Streak Pearl, 1.4L Turbo 6 speed manual, Technology & Premium Groups, HID & Racetrack Lights, Sunroof, UConnect 8.4N with Alpine speakers.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is Really?

Vehicle
    2012 Dart Limited (Ordered 8/17/2012 3:17PM) True Blue 1.4L Turbo 6 Speed DDCT Black Leather Seats
    Liked
    285 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Playback of MP3/WMA Files
    When a medium containing MP3 data is loaded, the
    radio checks all files on the medium. If the medium
    contains a lot of folders or files, the radio will take more
    time to start playing the MP3 files."

"Loading times for playback of MP3 files may be affected
    by the following:
    • Media - CD-RW media may take longer to load than
    CD-R media
    • Medium formats - Multisession discs may take longer
    to load than non-multisession discs
    • Number of files and folders - Loading times will
    increase with more files and folders
    To increase the speed of disc loading, it is recommended
    to use CD-R media and single-session discs. To create a
    single-session disc, enable the “Disc at Once” option
    before writing to the disc."
    Loaded Limited 1.4L Turbo, DDCT tranny, and True Blue Paint
    http://www.dodge.com/hostc/getWindow...CDFCH8DD164220

I need a vacation, or just a new job

Newb
    Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSBullock View Post
    Alright, so this is going to get a little technical because I believe it's what they OP wanted. There is a limit to the number of files readable on a memory card or iPod. This limit however is determined the number of files in a particular folder, and the name of the file. It's a limitation on the FAT32 file system format that the device is formatted in.
    If you've ever been hunting around on an iPod for your music trying to copy it back to your computer you would realize that iTunes separates your music in seemingly random folders, and gives them all 4 character names [+4 for the file extension]. This is to ensure the most compatibility with most operating system and the structure in which files can be accessed. The theoretical number of files you can have in one folder formatted in FAT32 [typical memory card format] is 65,563. It shrinks down if you have long file names in the directory. A reported case of 30 character file names was only able to fit 16,384 files in one particular folder. So if you have a file [*Linkin' Park - In the End.mp3] you'd be able to hold aprox 16,000 songs with this lengh name in one particular folder. This is a limitation of the disk format. To get around this, if you break up your files into folders ie Artist or Album, you would be able to hold just about any number of songs or files. If you want to fit more music in a folder, shorten the file name, and if you have the correct ID3 information it should still show up correctly on the UConnect.
    EXCELLENT information, thanks to all you guys for checking this out. Here's something I'm wondering... Folders would be structured in a hierarchy on my SD card in this format:

/root>Music>Artist Name>Album> Then all the songs from that particular album.

Therefore a particular folder at the lowest level (album name) would only have a maximum of a couple dozen songs at most. However, the artist name folder contains multiple albums, meaning more songs than a particular album folder. This effect is magnified when you consider how many songs will be overall included in the Music folder (highest level hierarchically). The character length of the file will probably cause issues for me since I've bulk renamed all my tracks in this particular format:

Track number - Artist name - Album name - Track name.mp3

I guess I'll just have to check it out and fiddle with it myself when the time comes, but regardless, it seems like judging by the photos posted by Nepo that the iPod functionality is definitely robust and will make for a much larger capacity than a 32 GB card. Not to mention I have a feeling that the read times may be quicker when using an iPod than when using an SD card. That album artwork seems to be working well also. Hopefully in that instance it is pulling the artwork from the iPod and not from Gracenote . I also may keep the iPod plugged in and stored in the center console the whole time in case it ever decides to erase the compiled song database if the car has been off for a while. Again, thanks for looking into this. Just another something that makes me look forward to finally sealing the deal on my Dart purchase.

Actually, final question would be: Is there voice functionality for selecting a song, artist, album, etc? Similar to Ford's Sync? Might make locating a particular song a bit easier while keeping my eyes on the road as opposed to searching with an on-screen keyboard.
    BluLimit likes this.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is looking for wheels!

Las Vegas for now... Cali bound in Aug!!!
    Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    42 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm seems after I synched some songs and reconnected it to the car it took a good 10 minutes again to repopulate everything. I can see it becoming annoying for some people.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is out driving his Dart!

Vehicle
    Dodge Dart Limited, Dodge Challenger SRT8, Chevy 1500
    Mods
    MM-ECU, MM-PP, MagnaFlow Exhaust, tint, and lost the chrome door handles!
    Liked
    559 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uConnect Radio Limitations?

I just listen to Sirius!
    Dodge Dart Limited, Blue Streak Pearl, 1.4L Turbo w/6-Speed Manual: Born 24 July 2012 @ 2:08 P.M.
    Ordered 7 July 2012 // Recieved VIN 10 July 2012 // Built 24 July 2012 // Shipped 20 Aug 2012 // Picked up and drove home...30 Aug 2012
    My Window sticker: http://www.dodge.com/hostc/getWindow...CDFCH2DD111125

Newb
    Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Limited Blue Streak-Ceramic Leather MultiAir 6M
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer all your questions but I can share my setup. I have a 16 GB SD card plugged in along with a 16 GB IPod Nano connected to the USB and AUX port. It did take a couple of minutes to build the database when I first plugged them in but now I can search and play a song quite quickly after starting the Dart and system comes up. It does display the green "Reading Devices for 1 to 2 seconds but this is not nearly enought imte to reload the 16 GB that I have so I believe iit is only checking to make sure the databasses match. Also the GraceNote software does display the album covers of the songs that I play. This is not 100% but very nearly. I can not speak to the 5000 title limitation, I just have not connected/loaded anything that large yet. I hope that helps somewhat.

Newb
    Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have seen album art in the photos above from a setup using the iPod, where I assume it was reading from the iPod/iPhone itself. I was wondering if somebody has seen it read artwork from an SD card or USB device? You would have to make sure the Gracenote is disabled in your radio settings to make sure it's not pulling the artwork from there.

The couple seconds it takes to verify the database of songs at startup is completely reasonable, and if you had unplugged your media source, adding some new music, then plugged it in and fired up your car, it's also understandable that it needs to compare its database with the slightly new one on your device. I'm just hoping that if I had the device more or less plugged in forever, just sitting in the center console, rarely updating it with new songs, that it doesn't ever reset the database when the car has been off for a while.

The album artwork functionality across the different media formats is what really seems to be intriguing me at the moment though. Since I have music that is surely not going to exist in Gracenote's own personal database, it'd be great if it actually read the custom artwork I have embedded for a lot of my tunes, but I also have heard that it doesn't need to be actually embedded into the file, but that the picture actually has to exist in the album folder. This would possibly cause an issue depending on how your library is organized as well as depending on what image formats it's capable of reading.

I kind of wish a uConnect software engineer frequented these boards and could possible enlighten us on the finer workings of the system, but some of you no doubt seem to be pretty knowledgeable with these kinds of things. Thanks again.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Limited 2012 Volkswagen CC SE
    Mods
    Tinted windows Weapon R PROTOTYPE CAI...so far....
    Liked
    357 times
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
    I just listen to Sirius!
    Me too. Makes things very simple. Especially with being able to mark favorite songs and artists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads