Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

Recommend a sound system!

This is a discussion on Recommend a sound system! within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Can anyone with audio knowledge recommend an aftermarket setup? I honestly feel that if I don't ask a pro I will make a mistake trying ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommend a sound system!

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is waiting to drive his dart
    again

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    23 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommend a sound system!

Can anyone with audio knowledge recommend an aftermarket setup? I honestly feel that if I don't ask a pro I will make a mistake trying to put together a system.

I'd like to play rock music primarily and I'd be content with two 10inch subs. Anyone up for the challenge of putting a package together and listing it here? I'd probably be in the 800 bucks range after tax etc. Any help is appreciated!

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is waiting on the srt4!! spring
    release?!?!

Vehicle
    07 dodge charger
    Mods
    4 door vertical doors inc lambo doors, oracle color shift halos and grill lights
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockford fosgate and kicker are some pretty good subs that should be in your budget alpine type r is pretty good bang for the buck as well

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is Busting chops and taking
    names.

Liked
    805 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how the factory 9 speaker system stacks up to user add-ons. I had a Dakota with a premium sound package. Friend had a Nissan truck that had a custom install. I don't have the type of hearing that other do that can hear small differences, but he always said mine sounded better. I remember mine came with a cassette to play that showed how good the sound was, so maybe they went all out with that system.

Newb
    Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know what the size of the trunk mounted subwoofer in the Darts with the 9 speaker Alpine package is, and if it can be easily replaced with an aftermarket one in the future if someone wanted to do that?

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is Finally got mine! Super
    Excited, having so much fun!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart
    Liked
    38 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory sub is a "Free Air" or Infinite baffle 8" sub. This DOES matter, not all subs are designed to work without a box, and the ones that are, are not designed to operate near the RMS or Peak power ratings listed. I don't know whats size is in the doors but four total in the doors, on the rear deck lid it looks like two 3.5" with a 8" sub in the middle, and I believe they through tow tweeters up in the A-Pillars, for a total of 9 speakers. If I had to guess, it's 6.5" in the doors. I'll modifiy this post later with Infinite baffle sub alternatives and amps to match them.

Here is a link to crutchfield's selection of 8" "Free Air" subs

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Component-Subwoofers.html?tp=111&nvpair=FFSize|[rank6]8%22&nvpair=AG_General_Features|FFFree_Air

I like crutchfied because they have the manual listed for each one, and you can read exactly how it is supposed to be hooked up with power recommendations and what not.

I'll go ahead and throw out that I work at Best Buy in the Mobile Installation Bay, this is my personal opinion and what I've been looking at installing in my dart when I get one.

One setup I would recommend is the 10C88 Kicker Comp Sub, Kicker 11DX250.1 AMP, and Kicker ZCK84 wire kit. (you can use the PK8, however I hate the fuse holder it comes with and would swap it out with a better one). Reasoning at end.

For the Install you'd just tap-in to the rear speakers and run the wires to the amp with the power and ground kit, instal the amp and sub, set the amp to high inputs and signal sensing, tune the gain, and she's ready for some noise.
    You can use any 8" sub that supports an infinite baffle setup, just make sure you don't push her too hard our you'll be lucky to make it through a song without blowing the sub.

The reasoning behind it:
    Let me start with the amp. This amp has a lot of really cool features that make this install easier. The Amp supports signal sensing and high level inputs. This means that if you tap into the rear speaker connections, you can run those wires straight to the amp, and the amp will be able to turn on, and amplify that sound to the sub. You do not need a line output converter, and a place to put the box that's around 1"x3"x2". This amp is also able to be mounted upside down and dissipate heat build up (not all amps can do this). Second is that it puts out around 140 watts of power @ 4 Ohms; we will circle back to this in a minute.
    Now the sub, this is the part that requires some reading. It says that the speaker supports 50-100 watts RMS. If you read through the manual you can see that in does indeed support an infinite baffle setup, and a good starting point for power is going to be 55 since that's what the ported power is rated up to. The reason that I choose the 8 Ohm sub is because 8 is greater that 4. If at 2 Ohms the amplifier is putting out 250 watts of power, and at 4 ohms its putting out 140 watts of power, at around 8 ohms it's going to be putting right around 70-80 watts of power (and the amp is not struggling to produce this). The more resistance the lighter the load on the amp.
    Now because this is all being installed in the deck lid, you really gotta watch that infinite baffle setup. In a normal sealed sub box the speaker creates a vacuum in the box; when the speaker pushes out, the vacuum pulls the cone back in. When you don't have that vacuum and you put the same amount of power to the sub it can't retract and you can easily blow the sub below its RMS power.
    If your piecing together a system and want to make sure it works I would ask and installer before you purchase your items, it can save you tons of money.
    Last edited by MSBullock; 08-24-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Additional Sub Information added.
    dclarkduffy and Spanish like this.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is Finally got mine! Super
    Excited, having so much fun!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart
    Liked
    38 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, Can't post URL's and my post got deleted. *Way to break the rules already dummy*
    SO as I was saying...
    The sub should be 8" Free air or Infinite Baffle Sub. The other two speakers that plug into the rear deck appear to be 3.5"
    You can find the subs on crutchfield .com by searching Car Audio -> Car Subwoofers -> Component subwoofers -> 8" -> Free Air.
    It needs to be free air to work in the trunk lid without a box
    I like that you can read the instruction manual on the site to better see what you need and what the object is capable of. If you want I could go into the whole matching subs, amp, and accys but don't want to presume that you don't know what your looking for.
    Last edited by MSBullock; 08-24-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is Wanting to install other car
    parts!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye from the Texas Motorspeedway.
    Mods
    MP shorty antenna,MP STS, DMR motor mounts.
    Liked
    734 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulex View Post
    I wonder how the factory 9 speaker system stacks up to user add-ons. I had a Dakota with a premium sound package. Friend had a Nissan truck that had a custom install. I don't have the type of hearing that other do that can hear small differences, but he always said mine sounded better. I remember mine came with a cassette to play that showed how good the sound was, so maybe they went all out with that system.
    What's a cassette?
    2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye 1.4T

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

release?!?!

Vehicle
    07 dodge charger
    Mods
    4 door vertical doors inc lambo doors, oracle color shift halos and grill lights
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepo View Post
    What's a cassette?

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

release?!?!

Vehicle
    07 dodge charger
    Mods
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulex View Post
    I'm pretty sure it will sound good but I still plan on eventually going after market eventually with either sundown audio or Digital Designs

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is Busting chops and taking
    names.

Liked
    805 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepo View Post
    What's a cassette?
    LOL, my Dakota was an 88 sport, I don't believe cd players were even an option back then. My 2001 Ram also has only a cassette player. With the Dart having a card reader and usb, looks like I get to skip right over cd.
    mopargal likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads