Dodge Dart Forum banner

Back-up camera stopped working?!

64K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Arsen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So after just having my headlight fill with water last week and got it patched up (still working on a replacement) I get in the car today put it in R and my backup camera is dead. Getting a black screen with the writing on top then that goes away. Any idea what this could be? Hope it has nothing to do with the headlight.

The car is no longer under warranty so can't bring it to dodge...Shit sucks...

#2 ·
08 - Electrical / 8A - Audio/Video/Entertainment/Connectivity / CAMERA / Diagnosis and Testing

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - REAR CAMERA

The hardwired circuits of the Rear View Camera (RVC) and those between the RVC and the radio receiver may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the RVC or the radio receiver. The most reliable, efficient and accurate means to diagnose the electronic controls and communication related to radio receiver operation, as well as the retrieval or erasure of a DTC requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

WARNING:
To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

NOTE:
Be certain to confirm both of the following prior to attempting any further diagnosis or testing of the RVC. Use a diagnostic scan tool to confirm the rear view camera is setup in the vehicle configuration. From the initial start up screen of the diagnostic scan tool, navigate to ECU VIEW, select BCM, MORE OPTIONS, ECU DETAILS and then CONFIG INFO. Verify that REAR CAMERA PRESET - - - - SET is present. If not, the Sales Code XAC (Park View Rear Back-Up Camera) will have to be added to the vehicle configuration to enable the RVC, in vehicles equipped with a MyGIG multimedia entertainment system (Sales Codes RE1, REN, REP, RER, REU, REW, REX or REZ), be certain that the RVC is set to ENABLED using the CAMERA SETUP option in the MyGIG system settings.

Text Font Line Screenshot Document

Text Line Diagram Parallel

#4 ·
08 - Electrical / 8A - Audio/Video/Entertainment/Connectivity / CAMERA / Description

DESCRIPTION

Line art Drawing Auto part

The Rear View Camera (RVC) (4) (also known as ParkView™), is a camera on chip device utilizing Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) technology. CMOS technology is used for a wide variety of digital or analog circuits. In this application, it supports the analog image sensor of the RVC. The RVC function is to provide a wide angle video image of the area behind the vehicle, including areas that might not be normally visible from the seated position of the vehicle operator, only while the transaxle gear selector is in the Reverse position. This video image then displays to the vehicle operator within the display screen of the audio system receiver unit near the center of the instrument panel.

The RVC is intended to be an auxiliary viewing aid and is not promoted as an obstacle detection or safety device. It does not remove vehicle operator responsibility to recognize and obey official traffic laws or regulations or to take sensible precautions and care to avoid pedestrians, other vehicle traffic or both fixed and moving obstacles through the habitual use of safe and defensive driving techniques.

The RVC is mounted in the deck lid. The camera lens is visible on the vehicle center line, while the body of the camera and the camera connections are concealed within the deck lid, to which the camera is secured with two screws and a clip. The camera mounting bracket secures to the center of the deck lid above the tail lamp with an adhesive gasket and clip. A deck lid wire harness routes into the interior of the deck lid where it connects the RVC to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated take out and connector of the deck lid wire harness.

Hardwired circuitry connects the RVC to the electrical system of the vehicle. These hardwired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which routes throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other and to the vehicle electrical system through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

The RVC cannot be adjusted or repaired. If the RVC is damaged or ineffective, it must be replaced.

Reactions: Roadmasta01
#7 ·
So when i posted this my camera was out then around the afternoon i had to go to work and i tried to back up and it was back on and working...But now ever since that was happen it is intermittent and its starting to piss me off...I need to make sure i can get it working just fine for a bit as i am going ahead with dodges warranty and they send someone out to look over the car so i need to make sure it works 100% or till he checks the car and leaves. I am going to check all the cables later to make sure everything is tight but yeah this is some bull shit and from what i have read online it could be just able anything.

#8 ·
When this happens does it display "Check Entire Surroundings" or not? Do the reverse lights work when this happens or not? Did you even read what I posted above in the possible causes pic?
When an electrical connection is poor or a wire is broken under the insulation, that will make operation intermittent. It isn't WiFi or Bluetooth, the video signal travels along a wire. The camera itself could have an internal problem. A connection can make or break as a car vibrates when the engine runs, or you hit road bumps. Do a little troubleshooting and you might even figure it out yourself.

#10 · (Edited)
Almost all connectors have some kind of locking lever. Some are straightforward, others are more complex. Some require you to press the lever, others need the lever to be lifted. Never ever force or pull on the wires. Sometime it helps to lubricate the plastic. If you can't get a connector apart, take a pic and post it. Hopefully someone has figured it out. Don't forget to check grounds.

Some pics:

Text Diagram Font Line Parallel

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Electric vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Electric vehicle

Product Parallel

Text Font Line Document

#13 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Hope that somebody will be able to answer my question.

I have Dodge Dart SXT 2013. My backup camera stopped working completely (it was working before, but not always).

I checked all the wires that go from camera to Inline Body/IP Connection - all are good; the ground is ok; the run relay control is also ok (battery voltage presents). According to the instruction (attached), I have to replace the camera.

However, the instruction says (p. 4.1) that I have to "Disconnect C3 harness connector", which implies that I should check the wiring from this C3 connector to the camera input. IS THAT CORRECT?

When I tried to do so, I could not get the signal! What should I do next?

What input in the radio is the video from the backup camera? How it is connected to the Inline Body/IP Connection?

Attachments

#14 ·
Your pdf does not work for me. Is this an aftermarket camera?
This is the schematic for the stock camera:

This is the diagnostic:

Here are the pinouts:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.