ALFAOBD (Advanced diagnostics through OBD2, DIY Proxy Allignment)
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on ALFAOBD (Advanced diagnostics through OBD2, DIY Proxy Allignment) within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Hi Everyone, I just thought I would share about a new program that I discovered earlier today while browsing the org. In another thread (see: ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Like Tree51Likes

Thread: ALFAOBD (Advanced diagnostics through OBD2, DIY Proxy Allignment)

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.4
      Liked
      156 times
      Mentioned
      39 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would share about a new program that I discovered earlier today while browsing the org. In another thread (see: Mopar Online Parts Owes Me Royalties) both @PeterSteele and @alpinegreenneon mentioned an app called ALFAOBD (AlfaOBD)

I spent the last several hours looking into this product. It is available to purchase through AlfaOBD for $49.99. There is a PC app and an android app.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING ELM327 ADAPTERS
      The developer does not recommend using ELM327 adapters for proxy alignments. They often cause issues and will not allow the proxy alignment to complete. I have had issues with mine connecting to the ECM/TCM.

The recommended OBD2 dongle is the OBDLINK MX. This will allow full functionality and does not require the use of additional cables. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative there is the OBDLINK LX or SX. If you use the LX or SX you will need the 'Blue' adapter lead - to allow 125kbps MS-CAN / BHCAN diagnostics. (See http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-Adapter-dia...sAAOSw2xRYQDPV).

As of April 10th 2016, ALFAOBD is able to perform proxy alignments, add sales codes and enable dealer level options on your vehicle. If you add a sales code or enable any settings under the car configuration active diagnostic on the BCM you will need to perform a Proxy alignment immediately to prevent module misalignment

Name:  alfaobd screen.png
Views: 238
Size:  134.9 KB
      Last edited by josh16; 04-11-2017 at 07:21 PM.
      Modifications:
      Appearance:
      Solargard Tint (22% front, 17% rear)
      Mopar "Dart" Sill Guards, front and rear splash guards
      Brighttails error free full LED conversion (interior, license, reverse)
      Gloss Black Plasti-Dipped 17" Rallye Rims, Red Painted Calipers
      Morimoto 9012 HIDs 5000K & H11 LEDs 5500K
      TFT display
      Luxe taillight tint

Performance:
      HPSI cold air intake with ram air
      RRM Stage 1 (Spectrum, Pulley, Header Blanket)
      Sprint Booster
      Champion RE16MC Copper plugs (gapped 0.047)

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Limited/1.4T/Dual-Clutch Transmission/Blue Streak Pearl
      Liked
      50 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I got my copy through Google Play. I'm glad it worked out for you!

The level of detail in the information that it can pull is WELL beyond what the tech at the dealership can access. It shows things that, while his computer sees it, stays hidden from everyone except for STAR. Combined with the Tech Assist CD-ROM, a multimeter, and some basic hand tools, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that can't be diagnosed on our cars.

I'll post up some sample data, if anyone's interested.

Edit: to get the full benefit of the software, you NEED to have a quality OBD dongle. The developer strongly recommends Scantool's OBDLink MX, and with good reason. There are systems in these cars that need power and signal from different pins than the standard configuration, and the cheap blue ELM327's won't do it. The standard ECU's - PCM / TCM / BCM - will be fine, but some of the more esoteric ones like the RFH and the blind spot sensors, and I think the ABS as well, are going to have some issues if you try to connect to them with a cheap plug-in.
      Last edited by PeterSteele; 02-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is Looking for 7th gear

Vehicle
      2014 Dart SE Blue Streak 6 speed
      Mods
      CAI, STS, Rear trans mount, CU plugs, RRM pulley,
      Liked
      2267 times
      Mentioned
      472 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      looks promising! Thanks for posting.
      longtimemopar likes this.

'BlueStreak'
      2014 Dodge Dart SE manual Blue Streak

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is thinking: I may not be a brian
      surgeon, but at least I don't
      make careless mistakes

Vehicle
      2013 Dart , Bright Silver, 1.4 turbo, Dual Dry Clutch
      Mods
      K & N drop in filter
      Liked
      677 times
      Mentioned
      56 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by PeterSteele View Post
      I got my copy through Google Play. I'm glad it worked out for you!

The level of detail in the information that it can pull is WELL beyond what the tech at the dealership can access. It shows things that, while his computer sees it, stays hidden from everyone except for STAR. Combined with the Tech Assist CD-ROM, a multimeter, and some basic hand tools, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that can't be diagnosed on our cars.

I'll post up some sample data, if anyone's interested.

Edit: to get the full benefit of the software, you NEED to have a quality OBD dongle. The developer strongly recommends Scantool's OBDLink MX, and with good reason. There are systems in these cars that need power and signal from different pins than the standard configuration, and the cheap blue ELM327's won't do it. The standard ECU's - PCM / TCM / BCM - will be fine, but some of the more esoteric ones like the RFH and the blind spot sensors, and I think the ABS as well, are going to have some issues if you try to connect to them with a cheap plug-in.
      Please excuse my ignorance of these systems. Would doing these procedures leave 'footprints' that a dealership could detect? (void any warranties?)
      using WD 40 for cologne

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      50 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by longtimemopar View Post
      Please excuse my ignorance of these systems. Would doing these procedures leave 'footprints' that a dealership could detect? (void any warranties?)
      To the best of my knowledge, no, not through normal usage.

Please note: I'm not saying that they won't, simply that I don't think they will.

And, if you recall, my dealer would love to find a way to invalidate the remaining balance of my warranty and kill off my lifetime MaxCare, so I suspect that if there was any reason that they could find, they'd have done it. The last time my car went in, the computers and network were so screwed up that they spent almost a week going back and forth with STAR even just to get a full data dump into WiTech, and I provided them with a copy of the full data dump on all modules from AlfaOBD. The tech was shocked by the level of information I could access.

There are some things that can leave fingerprints behind--the modules know how many times they've been reprogrammed, for instance, and on what date / what odometer they were last reprogrammed--but AlfaOBD doesn't (so far as I can tell) allow you to actually re-flash a module. It will let you reset more than just codes, though: you can, for instance, clear out the statistical data stored in the TCM. This could include resetting counters for overheating and "incorrect use," so if a dealer sees that there's information there on one visit and then it's all disappeared on the next one, they'll likely get curious but I don't think they could really hammer you for it. (In fact, I don't think they could even see that--I believe those are things that only STAR gets to look at.)

Sample of PCM data

Sample of TCM data

Sample of BCM data

These are the sorts of reports that it pulls on each module, and there's a lot of modules in these cars. Even the plain-Jane basic Darts have a metric ass-ton of computers in there.

I did edit those files a tiny bit- I redacted my VIN from the BCM and PCM files. The TCM doesn't have my VIN programmed in, apparently.

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1921 times
      Mentioned
      209 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      this looks like a new sticky :-)
      alpinegreenneon likes this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      156 times
      Mentioned
      39 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I was tinkering with the software and noticed that when connected to the BCM under the Active Diagnostics there is a menu for "Program Customer Features" in here I tried to disable my DRL (being in canada they cannot be turned off through the 8.4 uconnect). The BCM registered the change from enabled to disabled however the DRL were still active once I put the vehicle in drive. Perhaps there is something that overrides this setting due to it being flashed for a Canadian market.

I also purchased the 5 set of adapter cables that I edited to show in the first post. It cost me $39 CAD after shipping. All in all I am very happy that I have invested roughly $60 ($20 for the OBD2 wifi adapter and $40 for the adapters) and now have the ability to program/diagnose essentially all modules in the vehicle. Considering a proxi alignment alone in Canada is $100-120 depending on the dealer I am very satisfied.
      Modifications:
      Appearance:
      TFT display
      Luxe taillight tint

Performance:
      Sprint Booster

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      156 times
      Mentioned
      39 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I have also noticed that if you select the Fiat Viaggio/Ottimo under BCM>Instrument Panel there is an option to write the odometer reading. This Active diagnostic is not available under the Dart. Perhaps if someone is willing to be the guinea pig this software could make TFT swaps much easier.
      REZNICK likes this.
      Modifications:
      Appearance:
      TFT display
      Luxe taillight tint

Performance:
      Sprint Booster

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      50 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by josh16 View Post
      I have also noticed that if you select the Fiat Viaggio/Ottimo under BCM>Instrument Panel there is an option to write the odometer reading. This Active diagnostic is not available under the Dart. Perhaps if someone is willing to be the guinea pig this software could make TFT swaps much easier.

BCM doesn't control instrument panel odometer in the Dart. It has its own module. Pretty sure that's an option there, but I haven't messed with it. Discrepancies between PCM / dashboard / ABS was one of the complaints that I had the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by josh16 View Post
      I was tinkering with the software and noticed that when connected to the BCM under the Active Diagnostics there is a menu for "Program Customer Features" in here I tried to disable my DRL (being in canada they cannot be turned off through the 8.4 uconnect). The BCM registered the change from enabled to disabled however the DRL were still active once I put the vehicle in drive. Perhaps there is something that overrides this setting due to it being flashed for a Canadian market.

I also purchased the 5 set of adapter cables that I edited to show in the first post. It cost me $39 CAD after shipping. All in all I am very happy that I have invested roughly $60 ($20 for the OBD2 wifi adapter and $40 for the adapters) and now have the ability to program/diagnose essentially all modules in the vehicle. Considering a proxi alignment alone in Canada is $100-120 depending on the dealer I am very satisfied.

It must be something to do with Canada, then. It works for me. I don't think it only allows you to toggle options that actually exist in your car.
      Last edited by PeterSteele; 02-14-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is Looking for 7th gear

Vehicle
      2014 Dart SE Blue Streak 6 speed
      Mods
      CAI, STS, Rear trans mount, CU plugs, RRM pulley,
      Liked
      2267 times
      Mentioned
      472 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Does this program allow you to access the TPMS sensor functionand turn off the light on the dash?

'BlueStreak'
      2014 Dodge Dart SE manual Blue Streak

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links