FCA Working on Dodge Dart RB5 iPod Control Issues
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on FCA Working on Dodge Dart RB5 iPod Control Issues within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; As some of you know, I created a petition for FCA to address various issues that have been plaguing users of iPods and the RB5 ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree32Likes

Thread: FCA Working on Dodge Dart RB5 iPod Control Issues

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Rallye Blacktop
      Liked
      29 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

As some of you know, I created a petition for FCA to address various issues that have been plaguing users of iPods and the RB5 unit (Radio in all Dodge Darts) since 2012. It seems to have gained the attention of FCA Corporate, and we sat down earlier today to discuss the various bullet points in said petition. Overall I feel it was a very productive experience and I am confident that FCA WILL continue to release updates to the 2014 and later models of the Dodge Dart and Journey's RB5 unit. FCA will continue to keep me updated on progress and feasibility of fixing the below issues. As a service to all of the Dart owners here I will keep this post updated with current information from FCA as I receive it.

**IMPROVED**
      20-30 minute cataloging of ipod when music is added/removed
      Engineer looking into why
      **They improved this in the latest update** 16/16/E2
      **Initial catalog takes roughly 40 minutes, all subsequent catalog take less than 5 minutes**

Album art of anything newer than 2011 not displayed
      Gracenote has been updated past 2011 (in the 2016 model) but isn't 100% for all songs

When gracenote is disabled no artwork is displayed from MP3 metadata
      RB5 was designed to rely 100% on gracenote for album art, this will be considered for future updates. Not guaranteed to change

When shuffle is enabled on ipod sometimes incorrect song info is displayed
      RB5 was designed to control the shuffle function, not intended to function when device is set to shuffle

When ipod is left connected to vehicle for 10 mins+ song does not resume next time car is started. Random song plays (when player input is left selected)
      Engineer will look into this

When a playlist is chosen, ipod then disconnected from car then reconnected it resumes song but loses its place in the playlist. ex; song 17 of 100 before unplug song 1 of 100 when replugged (when input is changed to radio before exiting vehicle)
      Playlists were not meant to persist after vehicle power off (hopefully they reconsider)

Songs start fading out 5 seconds before they end, sometimes they cut out completely. There is no way to disable this. There is no crossfade
      Definitely an issue that will be looked into
      Update: Engineer looked into it with Panasonic engineers and are unable (or unwilling) to fix it. It ties into how songs are cached and the fade will cut the last 2-3 seconds off each song.

**FIXED**
      Default sort order is alphabetical and should be changed. Artist A-Z,# (or #,A-Z) either way is fine.
      >Album (A-Z, or even better, ordered by release date)
      >>Song (Track #)
      RB5 was designed to list songs alpha-numeric, hopefully they reconsider
      **They fixed this in the latest update** 16/16/E2

Year information is not displayed on any song, with gracenote enabled or disabled
      Hopefully they will look into this

Reference: Petition to FCA to fix UConnect8.4 RB5
      Last edited by Shotgun1125; 04-06-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added new info

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Chillin'

Vehicle
      '13 Dodge Dart Aero Maximum Steel Metallic
      Mods
      Super red LED's in the interior lamps. 55W HID headlamps at 6000K K&N drop-in filter Graphite Bla
      Liked
      178 times
      Mentioned
      17 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I always think it's curious how 63% of phones/tablets are android, 29% are iPhone/iPad, but we only hear about the apple devices. (source)

Most of these issues are happening on Android as well. Additionally, there are other features like Pandora integration and Messaging features that have either never worked as advertised, or only function on a very limited number of devices due to lack of updates.
      HID Upgrade Guide

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
      but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Rallye Blacktop
      Liked
      29 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
      I always think it's curious how 63% of phones/tablets are android, 29% are iPhone/iPad, but we only hear about the apple devices. (source)

Most of these issues are happening on Android as well. Additionally, there are other features like Pandora integration and Messaging features that have either never worked as advertised, or only function on a very limited number of devices due to lack of updates.
      I can't really speak for Android functionality or how limited it may be, but I do agree that a lack of updates to the unit has been affecting EVERYONE to some extent. With some luck there may be updates regarding phone support coming in the future.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart limited Tech
      Liked
      29 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thank you so much for doing this for us. I hope it works out in the long run. I never use my iphone 6s as an ipod but only for spotify or pandora. I hope they address this issue as well. Nice to see FCA working with us.
      Shotgun1125 likes this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is I lost my status. Can you help
      me find it?

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      OEM Stock for life
      Liked
      62 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thanks for the updates. It's gonna be a long road ahead, but I'm still hoping there's some good news for us iPod/iPhone users in the future.
      2015 Dodge Dart GT (Daily Driver)
      2006 Dodge Charger Daytona Top Banana #3874
      1996 BMW 328is (for sale)
      1970 Dodge Dart Custom 225 Slant Six

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM Spectrum Tuner/Lightweight pulley, HPSI CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, momo knob
      Liked
      1828 times
      Mentioned
      278 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post

I own an android phone, but also an iPod. I think a big issue of this is, a lot of these issues are due to the USB control issues. Ipods are supported through the USB for data and music connection, while if you usb connect your android, it will not work the same. To my understanding. So that makes sense we don't hear about the android side, because it is not supported through USB. At least, none of mine ever were.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3225 times
      Mentioned
      168 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cntrollerfanboy View Post
      I own an android phone, but also an iPod. I think a big issue of this is, a lot of these issues are due to the USB control issues. Ipods are supported through the USB for data and music connection, while if you usb connect your android, it will not work the same. To my understanding. So that makes sense we don't hear about the android side, because it is not supported through USB. At least, none of mine ever were.
      There is a specific standard USB interface for iPod accessories that can be used to control the iPod device. Android devices have no such interface. If you have an old enough Android device, it can be put into a mode where it will be recognized by the Uconnect as a USB stick. However, that option was removed from Android years ago, and now the only think you can do with an Android device plugged into a Dart's USB port is charge it.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM Spectrum Tuner/Lightweight pulley, HPSI CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, momo knob
      Liked
      1828 times
      Mentioned
      278 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      There is a specific standard USB interface for iPod accessories that can be used to control the iPod device. Android devices have no such interface. If you have an old enough Android device, it can be put into a mode where it will be recognized by the Uconnect as a USB stick. However, that option was removed from Android years ago, and now the only think you can do with an Android device plugged into a Dart's USB port is charge it.
      I know my S7 also has this option. When plugged in, it is given the option for charge, media transfer, and something else. But essentially on my computer I can mount it just like a USB and even access the SD card without taking it out. But like you said, it's not a common interface, and would more than likely not even be able to find media folders.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3225 times
      Mentioned
      168 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cntrollerfanboy View Post
      I know my S7 also has this option. When plugged in, it is given the option for charge, media transfer, and something else. But essentially on my computer I can mount it just like a USB and even access the SD card without taking it out. But like you said, it's not a common interface, and would more than likely not even be able to find media folders.
      A computer can access it, yes. But the Uconnect is very specific in what it can access. Basically, the device would have to look like a FAT32 USB drive (or an iPod) for it to be accessible.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Rallye Blacktop
      Liked
      29 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      A computer can access it, yes. But the Uconnect is very specific in what it can access. Basically, the device would have to look like a FAT32 USB drive (or an iPod) for it to be accessible.
      FCA claims to be pretty active on forums and using them to take note of any issues us car owners may be experiencing. It'd be a good idea to document the android/USB here as best you can so their engineers can work to reproduce it.

I.E. Model Phone, Android OS version, how many songs, type of song files, how they're organized in folder structure (if applicable).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links