Dodge Dart Forum banner

Modified Fog Light Install

27K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  alpinegreenneon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just finished installed my fog light kit today. I purchased the Mopar Fog Light kit from my dealer for $200 plus tax. When I was going through the install the instructions told me to put the wiring harness provided through the grommet in the firewall and remove the existing terminals in the BCM connector. Upon finding out that the terminals were already there I decided to take a look at the wiring diagram.

I found that the wiring already goes from the BCM to the engine bay, into the front-end module connector. So instead of cutting my grommet and removing the terminals in the BCM connector, plus having extra wiring hanging there; I decided to crimp the correct terminals onto the wiring and insert them into the male front-end module connector.

Here's some pics:
Install fog light kit wiring.

Original connector from Mopar.

Female front-end module connector. As you can see the wiring comes to here (White-Yellow and White-Orange)

Male front-end module connector with Terminal Plugs

Terminal Plugs.

Male front-end module connector without Terminal Plugs (Back and Front {Blue Spacer Removed})

Modified Mopar wiring harness.

Male front-end module connector with new harness.

Front-end module connector complete.

Ground wire.

Extra wiring harness that was supposed to be fed through the firewall.

Let me know what you think. I have most of materials to make the complete harness. Depending on the interest, I may become a vendor and sell them.
Benefits include:
  • Not having to cut the firewall grommet
  • Less install time
  • Closer to factory install
  • Ability to purchase fog lights anywhere (junkyard or ebay)
  • Not having two loose wires next to the BCM

See less See more
#2 ·
Great Write up, im still trying to understand it though. So you do not need to do any work with the BCM terminals now. Im trying to follow where/what/how you modified from the factory install instructions.

do you still need a proxy alignment from the dealer to get the stock switch to work?

#5 ·
No, there is nothing to modify with the BCM connector. The wiring already exists from there and goes to the front-end connector. I crimped new terminals on the fog light harness from Mopar that fit into that connector. But yes, you still need the sales code added from the dealer.

If you can find the fog lights and trim from a junkyard, I could provide the wiring (plug-n-play). You would also need the switch which I have an extra without auto headlights.

#7 ·
I went to the dealership yesterday to get the BCM flashed. Now my fog lights Work, but as I was leaving I noticed the odometer was flashing. When I asked them about it they took the car back in. They came back out and said they were ordering a new BCM, because they tried flashing it 4 more times and the odometer didn't stop flashing. Does anyone know if it needs a proxi align after the flash or did they fry my BCM?

#14 ·
Yea, I'm trying to look for a silver lining. I might be able to get the repair shop to put black headlights back in there. That's always been on my list. They costs the same so I don't see how that would be a big issue, unless the insurance has something to say about it...

#16 ·
OP, thats too bad about the accident, hate seeing such a beautiful car all banged up. glad you are OK.

folks are correct about the black headlights, insurance companies will rarely ever let you order a different part number even if its the same price or less. they are restricted for some reason to only replace like-for-like parts. also be ready to file a "diminished value" claim with the insurance company because if you try to sell the car, buyers will know that its been in an accident and they will low-ball the heck out of you. but your insurance company should cut you a check to cover the additional loss in value.

#18 ·
Yeah the insurance company will just cut you a check based on estimates, if you talk to the shop doing the repair, and ask politely or hell offer a 20 spot to them to order the black headlights you probably can make a deal.

#20 ·
Well, I won't have to worry about black headlights. The insurance company said it is a total loss. Now I get to go through the nightmare of paperwork for the GAP insurance. Now I'm getting a 2013 Dart Limited with 1.4 Turbo almost fully loaded. It's what I wanted in the first place, but the 2014 model doesn't have the 1.4 in anything but the aero model... If anyone wants the fog light kit or illuminated cup holder, let me know.

#22 ·
I'm not sure if there was any interest, but I did make a few harnesses. If you take a look at the mopar kit instructions, this setup would eliminate steps 3 all the way through 23. That's over half the install.

Another tip for anyone doing their fog lights, don't do step 27. This panel is made of fiberglass and itches like crazy. Instead, remove only the front (7) 10mm bolts. These 7 hold the plastic panel as well. Then once you removed the other bolts holding the front panel, flex it toward the back slightly and pry it from the front to get the front side of the panel out from the bumper lip. Finally, you just slide the panel forward to gain access to all the install locations with the fiberglass panel in place.

Removing one less panel reduces the install time as well; more importantly though, it keeps you from becoming really itchy.

#23 ·
I'm not sure if there was any interest, but I did make a few harnesses. If you take a look at the mopar kit instructions, this setup would eliminate steps 3 all the way through 23. That's over half the install. Another tip for anyone doing their fog lights, don't do step 27. This panel is made of fiberglass and itches like crazy. Instead, remove only the front (7) 10mm bolts. These 7 hold the plastic panel as well. Then once you removed the other bolts holding the front panel, flex it toward the back slightly and pry it from the front to get the front side of the panel out from the bumper lip. Finally, you just slide the panel forward to gain access to all the install locations with the fiberglass panel in place. Removing one less panel reduces the install time as well; more importantly though, it keeps you from becoming really itchy.
So how much are you looking to get for your harnesses? And then with your harness all that is needed are the fogs, surrounding trim pieces and a proxi?

#35 ·
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. The connector is in the engine compartment attached the bottom of the drivers headlight. You will have to take the appearance panels off to install the fog lights and will have access from there. There is also a bolt fairly close by to install the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.