Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

SD Card Reader Specs

This is a discussion on SD Card Reader Specs within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Would any of you that have used the card reader please pass on what cards you have used, size and class? I need to order ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SD Card Reader Specs

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is Busting chops and taking
    names.

Liked
    803 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SD Card Reader Specs

Would any of you that have used the card reader please pass on what cards you have used, size and class? I need to order a pc part and want to order a card also.
    I believe it can actually read up to 64 GB. I understand that I don't need that for the car, but I might want it down the road for something else, who knows.
    I know there are speed classes up through UHS1 cards, but not sure if the reader can read the faster cards.
    Thanks

Supporting Member
    Rank

Rep

is creatively bankrupt.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye DDCT, Tungsten
    Liked
    329 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 64gb is fine, but the system can't read more songs than 4999. Someone will correct me if that's wrong.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

names.

Liked
    803 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I read, the more I'm understanding. I believe speed classes don't play a role, as they will just perform at whatever has the lowest speed, be it reader or card. The only exception that I can see is that USH1 cards are a different bus, so don't know if the card reader will support it, will just dummy down, or simply won't read it.

Seems to me that matching the highest speed of the reader would reduce load time.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Finally got mine! Super
    Excited, having so much fun!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I think 64gb is fine, but the system can't read more songs than 4999. Someone will correct me if that's wrong.
    Short Answer: It's a limitation on the FAT32 file system, length of all the files in a particular folder caps some of the limitations.
    Solution: Break your songs down into folders / sub-folders and you can fit all your memory card can hold.
    Limited - Blue Streak Pearl, 1.4L Turbo 6 speed manual, Technology & Premium Groups, HID & Racetrack Lights, Sunroof, UConnect 8.4N with Alpine speakers.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

names.

Liked
    803 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not real up on computers. Is all memory that is read through a reader piped through usb? If so, usb 2.0 is something like a max of 60 MB/s and more like half that in the real world I believe. The guy at uconnect said that the card reader is compatible with uhs1 cards, but unless the usb in the Dart is 3.0, I don't think it could take advantage of the faster read times. I know it only has to be so fast to play music, but I have to believe the time it takes to read the card when you first put it in is based somewhat on the card speed.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Finally got mine! Super
    Excited, having so much fun!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulex View Post
    Not real up on computers. Is all memory that is read through a reader piped through usb? If so, usb 2.0 is something like a max of 60 MB/s and more like half that in the real world I believe. The guy at uconnect said that the card reader is compatible with uhs1 cards, but unless the usb in the Dart is 3.0, I don't think it could take advantage of the faster read times. I know it only has to be so fast to play music, but I have to believe the time it takes to read the card when you first put it in is based somewhat on the card speed.
    Yeah, USB 3.0 isn't all that common yet. Just NOW getting a grasp on the laptop community, it will be a little longer before you see it in a car. USB 2.0 transfer rate is around 480Mbps Mega BITS per second. / 8 Bits in a Byte = 60MB megabytes a second.
    So at optimal transfer speed a 64GB card (64 gigabytes * 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte) / 60 megabytes a second = ~1092.3 seconds / 60 seconds in a minute = ~18.2 minutes to transfer all the data.
    That's operating at maximum operating efficiency. If the uConnect "computer" has to do some sort of processing and sorting/indexing and it is slower than 480Mbps than it could take longer. But If you have a "full" 64GB card don't expect it to take any less than 18 minutes to process
    Limited - Blue Streak Pearl, 1.4L Turbo 6 speed manual, Technology & Premium Groups, HID & Racetrack Lights, Sunroof, UConnect 8.4N with Alpine speakers.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is About to Hit 30K, Happy
    Halloween

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.0 auto
    Liked
    272 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it will read a 64gb card? I was going purchase one and I wanna make sure it works

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

names.

Liked
    803 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy at uconnect told me that 32GB was the limit, but I don't think that's true. I definitely saw that some of the other cars can handle 64GB.

The biggest issue is that uconnect can't transfer at the rates of the faster cards, according to the guy, and that can trip up uconnect. He said to stay around class 4 to 6, but I am using a 16GB class 10 with no issues.

Even at 32GB, that's something like 6000 to 10000 songs, right?

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

names.

Liked
    803 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that the less music on the card, the faster it will catalog. It will start playing right off regardless of how long it takes, but you won't have access to the music until it finishes. Cataloging isn't an issue if you use just the one card, but if you swap cards in and out, it comes into play.

Super Moderator
    Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
    is on TFT cloud 9!

Vehicle
    1988 Ford Mustang LX --- 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L Turbo 6-speed "Ruby"
    Mods
    TORK STS TORK Ported Trottle Body TORK CAI TORK FMIC Interior Red LED floorboard strips Inter
    Liked
    714 times
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SD Card Reader Specs

Well I have a 32gb sd card and its not being recognized in the Uconnect system....any thoughts? I have around 6k songs. I read up above that possibly it will only read up to 4999? Is that so? Help me figure this out. Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads