Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

Carbon Fiber Hood Wrap

This is a discussion on Carbon Fiber Hood Wrap within the Dodge Dart Appearance forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Originally Posted by BlueStreak I might be attempting it this week. I did my carbon on my front bumper my 2.0 I had... Lmao... so ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carbon Fiber Hood Wrap

Ride of the Month
    Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
    is errrmmmaahhgeeerrrddd lerrvvv
    merh derrrttt

Vehicle
    Dodge Dart SXT
    Mods
    Carbon Fiber vinyl rallye style front bumper. 20% window tint. Plasti dipped matt black wheels wi
    Liked
    203 times
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    I might be attempting it this week. I did my carbon on my front bumper my 2.0 I had...
    Lmao... so application says it crashes... uploads right photo still and puts a dumb on of me up hahahaha.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2004 Mazda Miata Mazdaspeed, 1096 Dodge Shelby Charger w/17K original miles
    Mods
    none yet
    Liked
    72 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about doing my hood and my front bumper also, but I got scared and just put some fender hash stripes and carbon fiber MOPAR stickers under the stripes. It turned out good, but not quite the same

Newb
    Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    '14 Dart (2.4L 6speed)
    Liked
    4 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who is worried that they will cut into the paint a bit. If you're going to have the wrap end on top of the hood or whatever you're wrapping, go get some plexiglass and a scrap piece and practice cutting. That should get you close enough to being able to cut the vinyl on the paint, but as long as you don't really get into the clear coat you should be good. If it's plastic you're applying to, it will be fine if it get's a little scratch on the edge of the vinyl. For a full wrap I'd give this a try.

Get a small plastic squeegee, a heat gun, and a spray bottle. In that spray bottle do a few drops of baby shampoo, 2 part rubbing alcohol, and 3 or parts water. If you're doing a full wrap of whatever, clean the side that is going to be showing (make sure no dirt of grease/oil is on there) and a little of the under/back side of it around the lip of whatever you're wrapping.

Cut it to about the size you need and then spray both sides of the vinyl and the surface of what you're going to be applying it to. When you put the Vinyl down to about the side you need (leave a couple of inches bigger if you can) you can move it around to get it where you need. Use the squeegee and start to squeegee the water out from the center to the outsides. When you get a spot where the vinyl is going to bunch up use the heat gun and lightly heat it until it forms to what you're wrapping and keep wiping the water away. If you're worried that you're going to scratch the vinyl after squeegeeing the water away, spray some more water on the outside of the vinyl.

When you get to the edge of what you're wrapping YOU DON'T NEED TO CUT RIGHT ON THE EDGE. Cut a little excess (about 1/8th of an inch) and wrap it over the edge and have it stick to the back side of the edge of what you're wrapping.

If you wrap the lip of what you're and have some stick to the underside it can help water/air/dirt from getting under the vinyl.

If you get bubbles under the vinyl use a pin/sowing needle to pop it and then use light heat from the heat gun and a light amount of pressure to push it down. I'f you do it correctly and take you're time the bubble isn't going to show. If you mess it up you can just reheat the vinyl and take it off. It shouldn't damage the pain if it's been on there for only a short time, and use some goo gone or something to clean everything up and try again after you've clean the surface again.

Also make sure you are doing this when it is warm outside (over 70f is possible).

Sorry for the long post!

Made an edit. Changed the "solution formula" because I'm dumb and typed this up at work, not paying attention to what I'm typing.
    Last edited by Machoog_546; 03-20-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: not paying attention to what I'm typing

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart SXT Special Edition
    Mods
    Fascia painted black, heated mirrors w/ turn signals and courtesy lights plus more.
    Liked
    221 times
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for an apology. Good and helpful post. Thanks!
    13 Dart SXT
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    02 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car