Changing Octane's
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Changing Octane's

This is a discussion on Changing Octane's within the Dodge Dart 2.4L Tigershark forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; I know that in other makes, when one changes the octane away from what they normally use, they have to pull a fuse to reset ...

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
    • 1 Post By MattyMopar
    • 1 Post By RchrdCranium
    • 1 Post By Bob Blaylock
    • 2 Post By jsblanch
    • 1 Post By jsblanch

Thread: Changing Octane's

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT
      Liked
      15 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Changing Octane's

I know that in other makes, when one changes the octane away from what they normally use, they have to pull a fuse to reset the computer so it readjusts for what is now in the tank. Do people do this for the dart's, and what exactly do they do?
      pkgmsu2000 likes this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      Liked
      71 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      No, these darts have a self learning system and will adjust accordingly.

I have a 2016 GT, from what I've heard bumping up the octane to 93 may give you better mpg + performance (but so minimal its not worth it.)
      MattyMopar likes this.
      The Car
      2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
      Pitch Black
      2.4L TigerShark with 6 Spd Manual
      Blacktop Package
      Technology Package
      Sun and Sound Package

Appearance
      15% Tint on side and rear windows
      Led interior + Led plate lights
      Dart Sill Plates

Performance
      K&N drop in Air Filter
      RRM Light Weight Pulley - On The Way!

Banned
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Black 2016 Dodge Dart, 2.0-Litres, 6-speed automatic.
      Liked
      10 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      There is no benefit to using a higher octane fuel than that which your car is designed to use. The only performance gain will be due to reduced weight in your wallet.
      karl likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3136 times
      Mentioned
      154 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by MattyMopar View Post
      I know that in other makes, when one changes the octane away from what they normally use, they have to pull a fuse to reset the computer so it readjusts for what is now in the tank. Do people do this for the dart's, and what exactly do they do?
      Without a tune that makes the timing more aggressive, there's really no point to use anything but "regular" 87 octane fuel. The quality of the fuel is more important than the octane rating, and you should probably stick with the big brands, who use the most additives and cleaners (this is a good thing in this case, the more "pure" your gasoline is, the more poorly it will perform and the more deposits it will leave behind).

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart SXT 1.4L
      Liked
      46 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      Without a tune that makes the timing more aggressive, there's really no point to use anything but "regular" 87 octane fuel. The quality of the fuel is more important than the octane rating, and you should probably stick with the big brands, who use the most additives and cleaners (this is a good thing in this case, the more "pure" your gasoline is, the more poorly it will perform and the more deposits it will leave behind).
      So high-quality 87 octane will result in the same performance and MPG for my dart with a 1.4T despite the owner's manual states 91 is preferred and 89 is acceptable?

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3136 times
      Mentioned
      154 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by PBMTMD View Post
      So high-quality 87 octane will result in the same performance and MPG for my dart with a 1.4T despite the owner's manual states 91 is preferred and 89 is acceptable?
      No. I was speaking in the context of the 2.4L engine, which is what the OP has. The owner's manual recommends 87 octane fuel for that engine. For the 1.4T, the owner's manual actually says that 87 is acceptable and 91+ is recommended. Like other turbocharged mass-market engines, it likely makes slightly less power with 87 octane as the OEM tune accommodates the less knock-resistant fuel. If you look at vehicles with Ford EcoBoost engines, Ford actually gives your the HP, torque, and mileage for both the "acceptable" 87 octane and the "recommended" 91+ octane. Those engines make slightly more power and get slightly better fuel economy when running 91+ octane, but they should work 100% trouble-free with 87 octane. The 1.4T not doubt does exactly the same thing, but FCA doesn't bother with providing the performance specs with 87 octane fuel. The only reason automakers sell turbocharged cars that can use 87 octane fuel is because putting "premium fuel only" stickers on compact and mid-sized economy cars is commercial suicide.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Avenger Operator

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Eagles ;-} Former: Dart Turbo Man. loved him
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob from a Dodge SUV style stitch grip!
      Liked
      2419 times
      Mentioned
      94 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      No. I was speaking in the context of the 2.4L engine, which is what the OP has. The owner's manual recommends 87 octane fuel for that engine. For the 1.4T, the owner's manual actually says that 87 is acceptable and 91+ is recommended. Like other turbocharged mass-market engines, it likely makes slightly less power with 87 octane as the OEM tune accommodates the less knock-resistant fuel. If you look at vehicles with Ford EcoBoost engines, Ford actually gives your the HP, torque, and mileage for both the "acceptable" 87 octane and the "recommended" 91+ octane. Those engines make slightly more power and get slightly better fuel economy when running 91+ octane, but they should work 100% trouble-free with 87 octane. The 1.4T not doubt does exactly the same thing, but FCA doesn't bother with providing the performance specs with 87 octane fuel. The only reason automakers sell turbocharged cars that can use 87 octane fuel is because putting "premium fuel only" stickers on compact and mid-sized economy cars is commercial suicide.
      Well said.

The only other comment I would make is that a brand like Shell does in fact put the most "juices" in their 93 octane. An occasional tank of that would be welcomed in any modern engine, just for the added cleaning benefits. My Dart 1.4 ran best, without as many hiccups, on the 93 Shell (since 91 is hard to find from premium brands). The V6 flex fuel engine I now have will run on 87 just fine and dandy. But I feel better feeding it the 89. Once in a Blue Moon , the 93. The auto-correct of the computer reveals no noticeable difference in anything.
      My final thoughts lately have been to add one bottle of the infamous Techron by Chevron every oil change and stick with the 89. For me it's like taking a multivitamin. Most of it ends up just being "passed" through......
      I was born in the fifties, came of age in the 60's. That should give enough information to understand. Thank You, in advance!

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT
      Liked
      15 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I ran 93 on my last trip, and did see a slight increase in mpg. But the change was minimal, and not worth it due to the extra 50 cents that the premium cost me per gallon. I worked it out, and I would've needed to get about 8mpg more than I normally get for it to be worth it due to the gas prices around me. So basically, I'll be sticking with 87.

Although there is something in the higher tier fuels. I do notice a difference in feel and mpg when using 87 octane from a top tier vs second tier gas brand.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is how do i change my avatar

Vehicle
      dodge dart 2015
      Liked
      18 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Can the same be said for e85 users

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dodge Dart GT
      Liked
      3 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I always use 87. I try to get the stuff without the ethenol which is hard here in Nebraska since thats how Nebraska makes a lot of its money. using the non ethenol 87 I seem to have better performance and MPG then using stuff with ethenol. Nothing huge but you can definitely tell a difference.

Sponsored Links