Dodge Dart Forum banner

Oil consumption question

59K views 73 replies 43 participants last post by  Ameer Kurdish 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how much oil dodge considers normal for the 2.4L to consume?

#2 ·
I seem to recall one of our insiders once telling us that the maximum acceptable consumption was 1 quart every 2000 miles. Let me guess, your car is losing oil at an alarming rate and nobody can figure out where it's going. There are a number of people on the forum with that issue, and none of them have been able to get it resolved, as far as I am aware. Even the most diligent dealer service departments seem to be scratching their heads over it, unfortunately.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
As i have never been a fan of Consumer Reports because they base all their information on consumer reviews and that can come back biased... i think this article is kinda entertaining to read... I find it funny that these "upscale" cars (BMW & Audi) which you pay a ton for up front ends up cost you even more in maintenance due to an oil consumption problem... And its even worse that the graph they show is for cars needing AT LEAST a qt. between oil changes, they dont actually tell you how much that is. So much for German engineering... Dont get me wrong, they are classy cars but why would you want to have a car like that if your maintenance costs are going to rape you?

Reactions: 57ChryslerDart
#4 ·
We have multiple threads regarding the 2.4 using alot of oil. your best bet is to check your oil level once a month at least to make sure your not running low. As for what the dealer will tell you, probably to check your oil level and make sure it doenst get low. Its an engineering issue not a broken part or anything. The engine just consumes more oil then most.

#6 ·
If you dont want oil consumption to be as bad i would say... cut down your change intervals by 2000 miles... then you wont have to add an additional qt right before you change it any ways... your adding an additional 3 qts. during that interval, you could cut it down to 2 and save the extra $5-7 and use it on the next change!

#8 ·
WOMP WOMP WOMP

I was going to make a thread on this, but searched the forums. It seemed to be a sore subject, so I left it alone. Mine is consuming oil. Not sure how much. I have started keeping oil in it between changes, but it wouldn't warn you it was low, the engine would just shut off. It is a nice feature to keep from burning up the engine, but there should be an alarm that screams "HEY DUMBA$$, CHECK YOUR OIL!"

#14 ·
... I have started keeping oil in it between changes, but it wouldn't warn you it was low, the engine would just shut off. It is a nice feature to keep from burning up the engine, but there should be an alarm that screams "HEY DUMBA$$, CHECK YOUR OIL!"
... or perhaps an EVIC message that reads "R T F M !!!" :rolleyes: :D ...

Text Font Document Paper

excerpt from page 564 of the 2014 Dodge Dart Owner's Manual (3rd Edition)

#9 ·
I bet I know where it's going, thru the PCV system. I put a valve cover catch can on my car and there hasn't been anything in it in 2 oil changes. Now I pulled my TB off for the MPX ported and the intake had a notable amount of oil in the intake manifold. My next tweek is a PCV catch can and see how much I'm "venting".

I bet that's where it is going, check the plugs

#16 · (Edited)
I like this little gem from the CR article:

Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable.
Our tired old '98 Neon is burning a quart every 500 miles or less. Given the amount it's driven means I have to dump a full quart in it every week. I can't imagine what my wife would do if I wasn't around to do it, because she knows nothing about engines and would likely run it until it burned up otherwise. My '99 Jeep XJ leaks a little oil out the seals, but internally it uses absolutely no oil between changes, even after nearly 200,000 miles. My Dart by comparison drinks a little between its 5,000 mile changes, but not enough to alarm me. I usually have to add another quart during that time. I do know the 2.4L has polymer piston skirts, and that oil is directly sprayed onto the cylinder walls to lubricate them and keep them cool. That means the oil control rings have extra oil to contend with and keep out of the combustion chambers.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what information you are getting this from, but the PCV system is not going to pull 1-2 quarts of oil if you are always on the throttle. If you are getting 1-2 quarts of oil in your catch can than something is mechanically wrong with your engine. Yes, the 2.0 & 2.4 have a high vacuum, but that not going to cause the issues that some 2.4 owners are seeing. With the multiair system the solenoids are activated with the oil pressure:

The Multi-air is notorious for consuming oil from the actuators. And no, not the actuators themselves (per se); it's the multi-air system itself has been find to be the root cause of oil consumption...

"The single camshaft has three nodes per cylinder; two to actuate the exhaust valves and a single inlet cam which pushes a small pump that either opens the valves hydraulically, or pushes the engine oil into a separate sprung-loaded, high-pressure reservoir."

"When maximum power is required an electronically-actuated solenoid valve remains shut and the oil pressure opens the inlet valves directly according to the inlet-cam profiles, which are designed for high power at high speeds. Under partial load and/or throttle conditions the solenoid valve can be used to infinitely vary the timing of each cylinder's inlet valves to improve efficiency."

Simply put, the actuators open and or close base off of oil pressure. So, no, the oil is not "burning" but with the multi-air actuators consuming oil (which is why they have STAR Cases starting for these for people that know more than me to research why). I'm not saying they are burning oil, I am only going off of what I have read on the forum and further research that I do on my own to expand and open my mind to the other engines. So far no one has "burned oil" or reported "burned oil", or "oil in the catch can" the oil is simply "gone". This is only on the 2.4's and nothing (to my knowledge of 2 years on the forum or with research) has been mentioned about the 2.0's.

#22 ·
The oil from the pcv system goes into the intake and is ultimately but all slowly burned. The more aggressive the driving habits the more oil comsumed.

Yes the car is burning oil but the oil is not blowby caused by bad rings or worn valve guides, it just is being added to the air fuel mixture.

That is why BMW with there twin turbo v6 says it's acceptable for a quart every 700 miles.
What is going on with the multi-air is completely different that what is going on with the TT BMW's (as the 2.4 isn't even turbo'd). So that isn't going to be a valid argument comparing a Twin Turbo to a Naturally Aspirated engine about oil consumption. Everyone has an opinion about the oil consumption. Did you read around or research anything about the 2.4 multi-air oil consumption issues? It's been a known fact for a while on a select few that DON'T run their engines hard, followed the proper break in period and they are STILL having the issue:

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-mechanical-problems/16796-oil-consumption-query.html
http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-mechanical-problems/22149-losing-oil-2-4l.html
http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...ars-2-4l-consume-oil-confirmed-my-dealer.html
http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...26293-oil-consumption-blue-smoke-exhaust.html

When Chrysler is opening up star cases for these issues, are you still going to say that they are running their engines hard causing quarts of oil as blo by via the PCV system?

We are finding a reason to hate our darts or Chrysler when every manufacturer sees the same thing.
Furthermore, what you want us to do is quell every little bad word about the Dart and we as moderators aren't going to do it. Plain and Simple. People are going to have issues with their cars, people are going to have opinions of their cars (some favorable, some bad), the point is that even though we are all on the site dodge-dart.org it doesn't mean they have to all be favorable opinions. Yes, you can throw at me that this site will go downhill because of this behavior and allowing unfavorable opinions run wild. But you know what? I rather have a truthful site that shows the good and the bad, and work through the bad than just have only good. No one is finding reasons to hate the Dart or Chrysler other than you pointing it out every-time that some coughs and says something wrong about the Dart. Enough is enough, you have contacted all of us moderators through PM at least once on top of reported posts from moderators as being "ill-willed" toward the Dart. I'm not going to run or be apart of a site that is full of revisionist history, and that is what you are asking us to do.

One final note, I know I am breaking guideline rule #11, but we have bent over backwards trying to appease you via PM's in regards to the way the site is run, we are doing all we can to help assist and promote the site. Do we like the "BASH my Dart" or the "My Dart Sucks" thread's? No, but those people have an opinion too, and last time I checked the old saying went... "Opinions are like noses, everybody's got one." Yes, everyone can express an opinion. You don't like something, so be it, you have a right to express your opinion. But, there is no need to frown upon someone else that does like the idea (or speaks down about the Dart). Apparently a lot of people forgot the one rule growing up... "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." (and that goes for both sides of the fence...)

#23 ·
Either the oil is burned or leaked, that is the only way to lose oil. If burned it can pass the rings or the valve stems and be burned and it can be passed through the PVC system or the head gasket. The multi air system has no direct link to the combustion chamber and therefor I cannot see how it is responsible for oil consumption. Leaking is obvious and not indicated by anyone on this thread so burning is it. Where is the oil entering the combution chamber? An oil catch can will answer the PVC system so has anyone done this with an oil using 2.4? It could be the oil burners all have different ways of burning oil but I suspect there is a main culpret at work here, but what? Again its not the multi air or alchemy or evaporation. I agree that this is a very small % of 2.4 motors and probably the same % of 2.0 and 1.4 motors. I just checked mine at 7k+ on this oil change and its just below full.

#24 ·
I use a quart in about 6000 miles, not bad. I will be installing a PCV catch can this weekend. When I installed my MPX TB there was a noticeable amount of oil already in the intake manifold, none in the tube as I have a valve cover catch can as well.

#28 · (Edited)
They're working on a "fix" for the consumption. But the explanation needs to be well worded. The early version so far is "Avoid going Deep into the pedal". An early prototype is in the works:
Auto part Wire

But, all kidding aside, it ALL sounds like the penalties for high efficiency engineering. Whether it's one of the many Mad Scientist methods of getting better gas mileage under non-demand driving situations, the consumer always winds up being unaware until buying in most cases. The car advertising is not like the drug industry where the tv commercials Must Include all the possible side effects.
Take your pick (poison): Start-Stop engines at stop lights/signs. Cylinder deactivation on V8's. There is a big list. But it seems that no newer engines are tagged : Completely normal internal combustion engine with time proven fuel injection where the driver decides how to get the best mileage through sensible gas pedal use.
What are you going out as for Halloween this year? I'm going as a VW Clean Diesel. :shocked:

#25 ·
After 3k miles in 9 months my oil is way under the minimum since I was used to a car that the oil level never moved with 1 year between oil change, I was really surprise to see that. I will do my oil change on thursday with some overall check up for the winter...

#26 ·
Dodge dart oil consumption

So according to dodge the say 1 L of oil in 2000 miles is normal consumption. My 2015 dodge dart SXT is losing all oil within 3,800 miles. Dealership is saying there is no leaks or engine issues.

Have been told when i do my gas fill ups to check my oil and if it is getting low to fill it....

Has anyone else been told this? my car is not even 8 months old...

#29 ·
New to the site

Good morning everyone! I'm new to the site.

I have a 2015 Dodge Dart SXT I wanted to try to get some info, in relation to oil consumption. My car has a serious issue with oil consumption. I get that the owners manual says to check oil levels in between oil changes. There is obviously something going on with the 2.4L.

I drive on average 40-50 miles a day nothing crazy and no bad habits. Therefore I should not be burp gong through all my oil in 3,800 miles.

The dealership hasn't been of any help other than telling me to check my oil when I fill my gas and if it is low to fill it.

Trying to see if anyone else has this issue along side with me?

#30 ·
@Acollett07 I have moved your initial thread into this thread to help you better understand the issues some owners are having with their 2.4L Multi-airs in regards to oil consumption. Hopefully this thread will help point you into the right direction. If you have any other further questions please feel free to reach out to the community and we will try and help out as much as possible.

#33 ·
I have finished the Oil consumption test. Over the 5000Km period, it consumed 3 Litres of oil ( or 3 quarts for 3000 Miles). The service advisor said it was within spec for that engine but they still will submit the data to Chrysler engineers. Has anyone been successful at getting Chrysler to do anything regarding this excessive consumption? I don't believe this should be considered normal, or within spec.

#34 · (Edited)
Go back to the dealer, and talk to the service manager. Ask him how 3 quarts out of 5.5 quarts in 3000 miles is acceptable. A normal interval change on our car is 5-6k. If you're going by the oil change life light, you could get upwards to 8,000 miles probably or more. So let's say you change your oil every 6,000 to be safe, even though you could theoretically go longer. 3 quarts consumed in 3,000 miles = 6 quarts consumed in 6,000 (theoretically based on his statement) so that means you'll have -0.5 quarts of oil when you go in for your next oil change.

Please. Explain that to him. And ask him while you're at it to have an engine ready for you to replace your blown one down the road.

I just got an oil change. About 5300 miles on the clock when i took it in for my last free oil change. I asked them about the 2.4s having oil consumption issues. He talked about doing an oil consumption test, but we went right out as we were talking and checked the oil. About halfway on the oil dipstick in the safe zone. I knew i was fine, and he said so too. So luckily it looks like my 2.4 isn't having a terrible issue with this. But how was I able to go almost 6,000 miles without losing much, and you lost over HALF of your 5.5 quarts in 3000 miles and that is "normal".

#35 ·
i would also suggest that you start a case on the phone with dodge customer care and provide the same info about the oil consumption. dealers can and will say whatever they want to get you to go away if they dont care to spend any time to help you, but the customer care line folks can actually take time to consult chrysler engineers and get a legit answer.
@DodgeCACares

#36 ·
I have a 14 GT and don't have an oil consumption issue. I am at 6000+miles on the oil change with 16% life left and still 1/2 between the add and full line.
I am astonished at the number of people that seem to just gas and go and then are surprised that they are multiple quarts low. I guess I am still old school that I always check my oil at every fill up. A new car is a big investment and I want to keep an eye on the fluid levels because I am keeping this car until the wheels fall off. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box.

Reactions: bobbyg1955
#37 ·
For what it's worth. I drive my Dart like I drive my Alfa's, and that's not going easy ;-). I do not have an oil consumption issue in my 2.4l. Now, I did follow the book on engine break in, and change my oil every 3k. I'm also using Mobil 1 for the dart.

I hope the oil consumption issue gets figured out, as I can only imagine how aggravating it is.

They say the Dart is mostly an Italian car, so I drive it like an Italian car. :)

#38 ·
I'm at a stand still with the dealership. They are saying 3 litres per 5000KM is within spec. Just got off the phone with them after weeks of back and forth they said there is nothing that can be done. I dont understand how its within spec if many others are not burning any oil.
@DodgeCACares

Can you chime in and explain the logic as to why its acceptable for some cars to burn excessive amounts oil while others dont burn any? I have a friend with exact car as mine and he can go the full 10K oil interval without burning a drop of oil

#41 ·
Im on my second 2.4l tigershark. First one was replaced due to oil consumpion. Now second one consumes about a qt every 1500-2000 miles. I can tolerate that. It sucks the car is only 2 years old and the engine 1 year old with only 25000 miles, one wouldn't expect a new car to be like this but apparently this is a common trend among new engines. I can live with that if it doesn't get worse. Anybody try thicker oil?

#42 ·
#43 ·
Finally got dealership to do an oil consumption test on my 14 GT. First 2,000 miles I burned a quart, then 1,000 miles burned a quart again and after 500 miles It was half way down the dipstick but claim it took a little over 1/3 quart. Long story short, they just tell me I have to deal with it and its normal. I almost exploded on them lol. Just curious if anyone has any contact information for Chrysler directly or any advise and what to do next. I honestly feel they just don't want to do the work to fix my car. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.