Dodge Dart Forum banner

Who has done their own oil change?

8K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  pkgmsu2000 
#1 ·
I only picked up my Dart last night and it was dark so I haven't peeked underneath yet.

How difficult is it for those of us that don't mind getting our hands dirty?

I've been doing all of my own oil changes for ages and my last two rides were Jeeps which made it pretty simple due to ground clearance.

Your experience and knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks.

#3 ·
So on the ground ..how hard is it ? Need ramps ? Removing access panel underside..How ? Oil filter ..is it between the eng and fire wall ? and how to remove the large air intake cover over the motor.....
I know lots of questions but this is a need to know...Manuals do not show anything on this...

#4 ·
You will definitely need ramps or at least a curb to get under your car. I don't think you actually have to remove the whole cover. There's an access panel for oil changes, iirc. (pictures i've seen)

air intake cover over the motor? You mean the engine cover that says 1.4L turbo on it? cause that's not an air-intake; that's off to the left of the engine cover, which is purely aesthetic, from what I've read thus far.
(That question i do not know the answer to, unfortunately)

#7 ·
From my understanding of what I've read so far is that part of the intake tubing is integrated with the engine cover on the 2.0. Don't know for sure since I've got the 1.4T. As far as the aero panel there are 2 sections you will need to open up. One is for the drain plug and the other is for the filter.

#12 · (Edited)
I just did my first oil change today. It was rather simple once I figured out exactly what size tools I needed. First step I researched oil. 5W-40, full synthetic for the turbo is a must! Do not go with the 5-40 diesel, there is a difference. I had a guy try to sell me some. I heard that Mopar, Mobil one, or Castrol oils were the best. I went Castrol for cost. When price shopping, I noticed a lot of shops couldn't get the correct oil filter in. The best price I found was $8 for the filter, and about $27 for the 5 quarts of oil (on sale). There is controversy on how much oil. Apparently the manual said 6 at one point, then was changed to 4. I found that 4 was okay, I put in the 5th quart so the dip stick said 'full'.

Tools needed:
7mm socket
13 mm wrench
1 1/16th socket with extension
4 or 5 quarts oil
oil filter, o-ring

--First thing I did was jacked my car up and placed a stand under it. I'm small so I only did one side. There are nice covers underneath labeling the oil filter and oil pan. the 7mm socket will unscrew the screw holding it up. There are tabs on one side of each, however I did find after a bit of work, they came right off.
--Next I used the 13mm wrench to unscrew the oil pan drain plug.
--Once drained. (More oil came out after taking off filter) From the top part of the car, under the hood. I found the oil filter. If you look at the engine block, go towards the front of the car, then left (to passenger side), down a little bit you will find a black dome object, with a 5 sided polygon on top. This is the location of the oil filter. I used a 1 and 1/16th socket with the extended handle to loosen it up. It doesn't take much. There is an arrow on the filter telling you which way to turn to loosen it. The filter simply sits in there, flat side into the dome, "castle" side into the metal part attached to the car. The o-ring took me a minute to find! It is actually located on the part that you just took off, above the threads. Grease the new one and replace the old one. Place new filter in, lightly tighten.
--I then replaced the bolt on the oil pan, replaced the covers underneath.
--I put in 4 quarts oil, checked the dip stick. Ran the car, checked dip stick, added part of the 5th quart... repeat until happy with the oil level. Clean, DONE!

If a 100 lb cheerleader can do it by herself, you can do it!!;)

This guy has awesome pictures.... http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-maintenance/7573-guide-change-1-4l-engine-oil-photos.html

#14 ·
You are supposed to take the filter out before draining the oil

"Oil Change Procedure for 1.4"

Run the engine until achieving normal operating temperature.
Position the vehicle on a level surface and turn the engine off.
Remove the engine cover.

CAUTION: When performing an engine oil change, the oil filter cap must be removed. Removing the oil filter cap releases oil held within the oil filter cavity and allows it to drain into the sump. Failure to remove the cap prior to reinstallation of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the used engine oil.

Place an oil absorbent cloth around the oil filter housing at the base of the oil filter cap.

NOTE: The oil filter is attached to the oil filter cap.

Rotate the oil filter cap counterclockwise and remove the cap and filter from the oil filter housing.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Place a suitable drain pan under the crankcase drain plug.
Remove the drain plug from oil pan and allow the oil to drain into the pan. Inspect the drain plug threads for stretching or other damage. Replace the drain plug and gasket if damaged.
Install the drain plug in the oil pan and tighten to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.).

NOTE: It is not necessary to pre-oil the oil filter or fill the oil filter housing.

Lightly lubricate the new O-ring seal with clean engine oil.
Install the O-ring seal on the filter cap.
Install the new oil filter into the oil filter cap.
Thread the oil filter cap into the oil filter housing and tighten to 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.).
Remove the oil fill cap. Fill the crankcase with the specified type and amount of engine oil.
Install the oil fill cap.
Start the engine and inspect for leaks.
Stop the engine and check the oil level.
Install the engine cover.

#23 ·
Have not heard anything good or bad about quaker state... all I know is to use either the brand thats recommended by the manufacturer or a high-end oil.

#24 ·
just changed my own oil last month at 10k miles, and i will be doing all of my own oil changes going forward since the dealer crushed my rocker panels when they did my first oil change at 5k.
changing your own oil is super simple and gives you the opportunity to see whats going with your car under the hood, and also whats going on underneath (if you have access to a lift). get to your know dart :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.