Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

tuning for 2.0?

This is a discussion on tuning for 2.0? within the Dodge Dart 2.0L Tigershark Engine Mods forums, part of the Dodge Dart 2.0L Tigershark category; Originally Posted by SilverMidas @ wantsum? , I agree with you. The only 'learning' ECU I know of is the high end and expensive systems ...

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: tuning for 2.0?

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is 2.slow no more!

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.0L in Bright Silver
    Mods
    See signature.
    Liked
    641 times
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMidas View Post
    @wantsum? , I agree with you. The only 'learning' ECU I know of is the high end and expensive systems designed for hot rod owners that want to put modern engined in their old cars. They also cost $2-5k depending on the brand. I can't imagine that RRM is releasing an entire system at that price point for what is essentially a dead engine like the 1.4. Also, I agree on the driveability issues. That is the big point for me. The added power is just icing on the cake.

Now, with Tork, it was my car that they were working on to get the 2.0 tune. They do not have the software tools yet to find the files that they need in order to tune the car. When I was there, he took apart the ECU, and they have dealt with the processor inside, and they know the company. It's just finding the files to tune the car. It also took them 16 hours to download all the files on the ECU. There is a TON there to sift through.

I say give it time. Look how long it normally takes for companies to release a specialized tune for most modern cars. It can take a year or more.

It will be interesting to see what RRM's solution does though. I would love to see what is actually physically inside their box. But, being that Tork is local, and he comes across as a good guy, I'm sticking with him.
    Tork is probably the farthest thing from local to me. i would never be able to give up my car for days to ship my ECU out across the country for a bench tune, as i would assume the majority of people wouldnt be able to as well. Also, a lot of us would like the get the full use of our warranty without any shit from dealerships, and a plug and play unit would be the best to preserve this. i'm not sure why @roadrace would lie about a self-adjusting ECU.... so i wouldnt NOT TRUST them because it doesnt have a $3k pricerag on it... people will obviously be able to tell right away if it actually self adjusts, so lying about something like this wouldnt make any sense. trust me: they are not bullshitting anyone! the Mitsubishi EVO community raves about RRM, i think thats enough to ensure that they make good quality parts that yield benefits. to each his own opinion though! if the Tork tune is more your style, then wait it out!
    Last edited by EMount91; 10-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Car Chief
    Rank

Rep

is Another Day Another Dollar

Liked
    610 times
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindZide View Post
    From what I gathered when shopping around for mine was that the 1.4 not only has more power, it has better gas mileage.....for now. In due time us 2.0 owners will have our day. Someone somewhere will come up with something to make it quicker. Honestly though, correct me if I am wrong, seriously, correct me because I am not a mechanic of any sort, but if they release a turbo for the 2.0, would that in effect make the 2.0 make the 1.4 cry in any race?

At any rate, I love my 2.0. Looking at the specs of the cars, the 1.4 only has more torque than the 2.0. The HP is the same at 160. Well, at least thats what I saw on the sticker and various websites.
    Depends..by that time...more mods will be out for the 1.4....and my turbo doesn't cry its swoooshes lol.....and there's also a bigger turbo kit in the works for the 1.4..as well

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is adding all kinds of nifty
    things to my Dart!

Vehicle
    2013 Max Steel SXT 2.0 Auto
    Mods
    Leather Wheel, Wheel Buttons. TFT Installed. U-connect and auto-dimming mirror ordered
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EMount91 View Post
    well i'm pretty sure im becoming a beta tester for RRM's 2.0 ECU, so we'll let the testing speak for itself.

also, Tork is probably the farthest thing from local to me. i would never be able to give up my car for days to ship my ECU out across the country for a bench tune, as i would assume the majority of people wouldnt be able to as well. Also, a lot of us would like the get the full use of our warranty without any shit from dealerships, and a plug and play unit would be the best to preserve this. i'm not sure why @roadrace would lie about a self-adjusting ECU.... so i wouldnt NOT TRUST them because it doesnt have a $3k pricerag on it... people will obviously be able to tell right away if it actually self adjusts, so lying about something like this wouldnt make any sense. trust me: they are not bullshitting anyone! the Mitsubishi EVO community raves about RRM, i think thats enough to ensure that they make good quality parts that yield benefits. to each his own opinion though! if the Tork tune is more your style, then wait it out!
    Don't get me wrong, I hope it works out. It only brings more attention to the platform. And I will admit, the $3k systems are usually pretty involved. I am just curious as to how they do it, and what is involved. I'll be keeping an eye out on what your experiences are. And to be honest, the self learning systems usually also include injection systems, and all that jazz.

But yeah, Tork is literally 30-45 minutes from me, door to door, so it's not bad at all. And I'm not sure how a dealer would know I was tuned, especially if there is no stickers, or other indicators. Hell, the technicians probably wouldn't even realize it if you have a turbo on a 2.0.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is 2.slow no more!

Vehicle
    Mods
    See signature.
    Liked
    641 times
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @roadrace is getting close guys!

Dart 2.0L ECM in progress

Supporting Vendor
    Rank

Rep

Supporting Vendor
    is at your service...

Vehicle
    2012 FIAT 500 ABARTH
    Liked
    470 times
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would add in some information to help everyone understand what we are planning with our ECU's. First off we will have 2.0L ECM out soon called the Spectrum ECM, it will be changing timing and fuel and we already have one out in the wild getting real world miles on it. We don't just dyno and sell, we like to find out from a couple customers how driving feels with our product. We don't know if we will be able to create stages for the 2.0L, it took a lot of work to get it working the correct way and we don't know if we can push it farther than we have.

We are going to have stages on our 1.4L turbo ECM systems. Already our base system is out and we are starting real world testing of the Ultimate ECM. The big deal with the Ultimate is that it will push more power, have a plug and play module for Meth injection and work with Automatic transmission just like our base system.

As for ECU learning, this is something we have been dealing with since ODBII and has gotten even more difficult as companies have moved to CANBUS systems. The car is always trying to adjust to fuel, timing, air so that it gets as close to optimal running parameters as possible. The computer has a AFR in mind and it is always adjusting the car to meet it so that it can keep with emissions and MPG regulations, and now that more cars like the Dart 1.4L are using a wideband system it is becoming harder to tune vehicles in the traditional way. What has happened though is now we can create ECM devices that will do the work of a traditional tune for you and add the benefit of keeping your warranty intact. Many times with warranty work the Dealer will scan your ECU for information and if it is modified the computer will return an code to the tech. This could require you to pay for work rather than get it covered if the dealer finds the modified ECU is at fault. Our box avoids all those issues by being a plug and play unit that does not leave a trace, all you have to do is take the first 80 miles easy while the ECU adjusts to the new settings. A lot of our knowledge and experience is backup by years of working with OEMs like Mitsubishi and Suzuki to build amazing concept cars for both companies.
    Moparian and EMount91 like this.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is 2.slow no more!

Vehicle
    Mods
    See signature.
    Liked
    641 times
    Mentioned