Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

Royal Purple 5w40 and Filter

This is a discussion on Royal Purple 5w40 and Filter within the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir Turbo forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; I'm awaiting the arrival of my Dart Rallye from the factory and I've just about made up my mind on using Royal Purple 5w40. Anyone ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Got Head-er Orange?

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Royal Purple 5w40 and Filter

I'm awaiting the arrival of my Dart Rallye from the factory and I've just about made up my mind on using Royal Purple 5w40. Anyone use this oil and have any problems? I've used it in my Charger a few times and found it to be probably the best oil I put in it. The other option I'm considering is Amsoil which isn't as readily available in my area.

I'm also curious what filter number the 1.4L requires. I got a number from Amazon but it doesn't allow you to select what engine you have so it could be safe to assume that they are going with the 2.0L which is the standard option.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart SXT
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the commercials and all, but as an end user, I've never tried Royal Purple. What makes it the best in your opinion/experience?

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Got Head-er Orange?

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercongetorix View Post
    I've seen the commercials and all, but as an end user, I've never tried Royal Purple. What makes it the best in your opinion/experience?
    I've used Royal Purple before in my Charger and found that gas mileage was improved, the engine sounded smoother at idle and noticed much better power on hills. Nothing against other oils as well since I found that Castrol and Quaker State were also great but if I was keeping the Charger instead of trading it I'd probably switch to Royal Purple in it exclusively.

Having said that, I know that there's going to be differences between a 3.5L V6 and a 1.4L turbo four cylinder. So if anyone has any recommendations for the Dart I'd certainly entertain other options.

One reason I'm leaning more towards Royal Purple is because the grade required (5w40) is easier to get here as opposed to other brands. No one seems to carry Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc. in that grade.

My wife likes it because it comes in a "pretty purple jug" but I'm trying to look deeper into it than that. This is my first turbo I'll have owned and I want to keep the engine running in tip-top shape.

Do you have a personal preference?

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart SXT
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDart View Post
    Do you have a personal preference?
    Whatever the dealer uses. I'm thinking warranty preservation. I want as little money coming out of my pocket for maintenance as possible for the first 4 years. (Projected 100k mile mark for me)

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Got Head-er Orange?

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercongetorix View Post
    Whatever the dealer uses. I'm thinking warranty preservation. I want as little money coming out of my pocket for maintenance as possible for the first 4 years. (Projected 100k mile mark for me)
    That's understandable. I don't mind spending a lilttle extra on regular scheduled maintenance like oil changes because I firmly believe that regular and consistent oil changes will prolong the life of your engine. It's also about the same price for me to buy Royal Purple and have the oil change done at a shop than pay the markup that shops put on the other synthetic oils like Castrol and Pennzoil. Here in Canada it seems to cost more than it does in the US.

One reason I've also leaned towards the Royal Purple filter is because the install an anti drain back valve (same idea as a one way check valve) to prevent dry starts. I haven't been able to find any literature on Fram or Mopar using these.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L Turbo in Tungsten Metallic
    Liked
    71 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously doubt that any dealership can logically dispute voiding your warranty due to the oil you used in your car. I could see if for some dumb reason someone thought that vegetable oil would be a more suitable alternative than synthetic oils for some wild and crazy reason or another.... but using the same grade of oil that they use, just from a different (and quite possibly better quality) manufacturer would be ridiculous.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Got Head-er Orange?

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elementaldragon View Post
    I seriously doubt that any dealership can logically dispute voiding your warranty due to the oil you used in your car. I could see if for some dumb reason someone thought that vegetable oil would be a more suitable alternative than synthetic oils for some wild and crazy reason or another.... but using the same grade of oil that they use, just from a different (and quite possibly better quality) manufacturer would be ridiculous.
    Not sure where you've read any mention above about the dealership voiding a warranty but at the end of the day it's up to the consumer to ensure they follow the requirements of the warranty provided by the manufacturer. It's no different than making illegal modifications to a vehicle and having your insurance void coverage. If someone wants to do something against the recommendations and potentially set up a battle concerning warranty coveage, that's their prerogative. It's not something I intend to potentially set myself up for.

I personally work with someone who had their warranty voided because he was using conventional oil vice synthetic in his Jeep and was unable to provide receipts to prove he was having them professionally done.

The grade of oil I intend to use is exactly what the owner's manual says to use. I'm merely entertaining options for what to use once it comes time to start having oil changes done on my new vehicle.

But please backup your claim that using a different and possibly better quality is ridiculous.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is weighing value of warranty vs.
    Mod addiction

Vehicle
    2013 Dart Rallye Turbo Manual trans, Navi, etc.
    Mods
    28% Tint around and 5% windshield Plasti-Dip badges and wheels, GoPedal, Hard rear mount, Injen SR
    Liked
    111 times
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the oil meets the stated factory specifications, they cannot void your warranty. You do NOT have to have it 'professionally' changed either. Use a proper oil and save your receipts and you are good to go. I also believe Royal Purple to be a top shelf oil and may end up using it in the Dart myself. Once I choose a specific oil, I really try to stay with it for the life of the car.
    Dart part Deux is a GO! Time to start the Mods all over again

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Got Head-er Orange?

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    As long as the oil meets the stated factory specifications, they cannot void your warranty. You do NOT have to have it 'professionally' changed either. Use a proper oil and save your receipts and you are good to go. I also believe Royal Purple to be a top shelf oil and may end up using it in the Dart myself. Once I choose a specific oil, I really try to stay with it for the life of the car.
    Is that so? That's completely contradictory to what the dealership I'm working with told me.

There's a few others in the area, I'll have to call them to see what they say and get my hands on a paper copy of the warranty I was told they're quoting from so I can run through it. If I can continue to do them myself and just keep receipts for the oil I purchase I'll just keep doing that.

I played around with oils a bit in my Charger but I'd like to pick one and stick with it for the Dart. The Charger was the first car I used synthetics in and since no one could really recommend an oil they really liked and used consistently themselves I decided to run the gamut and try them all myself and make a choice based on what I observed with each one.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart SXT
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason I prefer the dealer is I have a big-ass receipt with a Chrysler logo on it saying mileage and that the oil has been changed. So resale value would be a tad higher than me saying "yeah huh! I changed it I swear!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads