Dodge Dart Forum banner

Throttle Body

11K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  FunnEman 
#1 ·
I am new to doing after markets on my car. I am planning on doing an air intake and a throttle body but for some reason I can't seem to find the throttle body. Help?

#3 ·
You are 100% correct here!

Reactions: pkgmsu2000
#9 ·
I believe it was Tork that just had the ported TB, Modern Performances TB is more than a simple port job. They open it up (bore a larger hole) and put a larger butterfly plate in as well, amongst a few other upgrades. You basically end up with a 46mm TB, which is what the old 2.2/2.5 turbos came with stock.

Did anyone take the time to read the Modern Performance info on this? 6hp increase! How exactly do you believe the stock ECU is going to compensate for what it doesn't know exists? Everything will work exactly as before except the TB is now flowing more air, so the ECU will feed a little more fuel and you will gain a little more power ;)

Reactions: longtimemopar
#7 ·
And one would acquire this tune through a piggyback, or has there been any legitimate tuning going on?

#8 ·
1.4 has the HPSI/EC tune or Skyes
2.0 has the Skyes tune
2.4 has RRM spectrum piggyback

I'm not sure how effective the Spectrum would be for the throttle body. I'm re-breaking in my spectrum after installing the HPSI cold air intake then I'll install the ported throttle body to see if it makes a difference

Reactions: pkgmsu2000
#17 ·
@Exitus04 Learn something new every day I say! lol I did not know that the 2015/ 2016 1.4l Darts came with MAF. Def glad the wife's is a 2013!

Yes it's the multiair that allows this little power plant to achieve the Performance it does! By allowing a change in cam profile to support a low end grunt profile to a high end HP Breathing profile. The Fact that it's good on gas is because of the 1.4l displacement Combined with what the multiair brings to the table. The Fact that they got away with putting it in a 3000+lb car is because of the Performance via multiair.

Anyone who doesn't think the 1.4l turbo is a Performance platform should consider this;

Was the NSRT-4 a Performance platform? IF you answered Yes, then you would be a hypocrite to say the 1.4l is Not ;)

2.4l NSRT-4

225hp/240tq

1.4l Dart

160hp/184tq

1.4l engine is about 58.3% the displacement of the 2.4l

58.3% of the 2.4l specs =

131hp/140tq

So lb for lb the 1.4l is a higher Performance engine than the 2.4l turbo, from the factory.

As far as sticking to factory parameters, I agree, which is why the wife's Dart will be running stock boost levels IF the fueling system can keep up. This of course has nothing to do with the type of mods we are talking about here though, as a TB change, adding larger I/C, opening up the exhaust ect are all mods that the MAP based models will compensate for.

Reactions: Exitus04
#18 ·
I agree to these statements! lol I know that the dart has good performance but its so hard to call it a Performance car when it was designed for economy! But hell... we've been able to pull a pretty good amount of power out of this tiny displacement engine!

Reactions: ig2mdThwifsDart
#19 ·
I hear Exactly what your saying, and it's the displacement vs mass of the Dart that Kills all that Performance! lol Which is also why the Fiat's have more fun factor, the 1.4l was really made for them.

1 more eg of the 1.4l when compared to other Known Performance engines lol

426 Hemi..........425HP (at the time I believe the the first mtr to almost achieve 1HP/CI)

91 2.2l DOHC Turbo (134CI) 225HP = 1.68HP/CI which at the time was a Marvel.

1.4l Turbo (85CI) 160HP = 1.88HP/CI! Which is actually quite Incredible, but Shows the gains from multiair technology when you factor in drivability + economy :)

#21 ·
@starscream5000 IF the factory ECU does what I think it will, and IF what I've heard of the stock fuel system is correct, and IF the parameters are wide enough to allow CMD AFR's to control fuel to max or close of what fuel system can put out;

Then I would be lying if I said I wasn't expecting 70-100HP gain from what will be done right now (Turbo/CAI/FMIC/Charge Pipes) at stock boost levels.

So that would be 230 - 260hp for now. The plan after this round will be TB/UD pulley/Full 3" into 2 x 2 1/2" exhaust from stock cat modded for 3" out and clutch of course. Thinking that will add another 20 - 30HP, again, at stock 20-21ish psi boost levels.

After that, if everything is working and holding together, it will be HPSI tune time. I will not be happy with less than 300WHP from the complete pkg.

That says around 345hp if 15% drivetrain loss

So say 4.05hp/CI or just over dbl the factory hp :)

#22 ·
Wait What! 300WHP?! Where did that come from?! lol :shocked:

@starscream see, this is what happens when my Lizard brain speaks it's mind. It's all your fault for asking the Right Q! :wink:

So it answered that Q as if this were My own car. This is Not my car, it's the Wife's and I don't think she would appreciate it in any more pieces than it is now. :crazy:

So I must retract that statement and replace it with the consistency of "Just looking for stock NSRT-4 performance while retaining same or better economy and drivability". :saint:

In order to achieve that, I'm thinking we're still going to need 270ish HP or even slightly more to make up for the lack of TQ vs the 2.4l.

So let's settle at a reasonable 300hp, which is only around 250WHP for now. :sorry:

Which is right at the 3.5ish hp/CI mark that you guesstimated. :smile:

Reactions: starscream5000
#24 ·
@CalmDownItsOnlyA_1.4 I hear ya. My original plan was to just Help the vendors (Tork at the time) to develop the Correct pieces of the puzzle, then I could just buy them like anyone else. Really didn't want to have to make/mod this whole platform myself, as I already do enough of that on other platforms. lol

They eventually showed their True colors by giving up all together, which they said they would Never do........(said they would learn from their mistakes and keep going)

Fortunately there is still EC and they not only seem 1000% more dedicated to the 1.4l turbo, they also have much better public relations people who have their Ego's in check and you can actually have a conversation with! lmao :cool:

What's interesting, is that I could have done essentially what I'm doing now, 3 years ago! (other than the comp cover not existing back then) As nothing has really changed in my parts selection since back then when I worked it all out. :wink:

Most have given up at the prospect of any real Performance out of these cars, as evidenced by the total lack of enthusiasm on the forums. That, and the amount of total misinformation, all made up as excuses Why there can be no Performance from the 1.4l! :tongue:

So you are Correct. It's down to Individuals like Us, and any Vendors left working on this, to Prove the rest of this out. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.