Dodge Dart Forum banner

2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L Turbo (Aero) MAP Sensor replacement (and more...)

25K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  jsblanch 
#1 ·
(Please read the entirety of the post. All information herein was provided to give the most accurate picture of my vehicle at the time of failure)

So, as I'm sure other 2013 Dart owners aware, I've a ridiculous amount of issues with this vehicle in a seemingly short amount of time as far as mileage is concerned. I've had the turbo replaced three (3) times, there was an issue with the linkage between the stick shift and the transmission, spark plugs needed replacing, and now my current issue which I will elaborate on separately.

That being said, now my Dart (with all of 55k miles on it; mostly highway), is apparently in need of a new MAP Sensor.
Prior to this diagnosis by the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, We-dont-care-about-you Dealership mechanics, I was had received a couple of warning lights:
1.) Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
2.) Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)

Soon thereafter, the vehicle stopped running. At this point I of course had it towed to the dealer and they recommended that my spark plugs and battery needed replacing and that I was also in need of a new MAP sensor. I went ahead and let them do the spark plugs. I ended up replacing the battery myself.

The mechanic informed me that I could possibly get away with not replacing the MAP sensor for about 2 weeks - if that. Obviously this was not something I necessarily wanted to put to a test but I really had no choice at the time due to limited funds.

Two days later, I am merging onto a fairly steep on ramp and it becomes very clear that the vehicle is not accelerating to more than 35mph. Coasted into the nearest parking lot and called a tow...again.

Here is where some seemingly odd things take place. The spot I'd pulled into wasn't exactly accessible for the tow. So, prior to the tow truck arriving, I see if I can get one more push out of the vehicle to move it about 20 feet away to a more convenient spot.

During this time, I receive a warning on the dash that my power steering was malfunctioning - this was quite evident (lol). Finally, right as I'm pulling into the other parking spot, another warning alerts me that now my ABS is malfunctioning! I turn the vehicle off and wait. Tow finally arrives and tries a little of his own "troubleshooting," if you will. At this point, the vehicle wasn't even turning over so he attempts to jump it. The car does turn over, however, this was short lived as it died within...probably 30 second's time.

Thanks for bearing with me there!

Now my QUESTION (which is three-fold):
1.) Does the diagnosis of a faulty MAP sensor sound accurate for my scenario? If so, where exactly is the MAP sensor so I can change it myself (I know there's not much to it)

2.) Do the ABS and Power Steering warning indicate deeper issues or was this a fail-safe to protect the engine?

3.) Is any of this tied to the ESC and ETC warnings or do those warnings indicate and entirely separate issue?

Thank you for any help/suggestions in advance...I have just about had it with this vehicle's mechanical performance...

See less See more
#2 ·
sorry to hear about the latest issue with 2013 dart aero, but about the spark plugs... its recommended that you start checking plugs on 1.4T after 20,000 miles of use, and then consider changing them at 25k or 30k depending on what you see after visual inspection. you should be on your 2nd or 3rd set of plugs at 55k miles depending on your driving habits. we find it common to hear from new members that they had no idea turbo plugs are changed so frequently. hope we can help with the other questions...

#7 ·
You are correct in your assumption that I was not aware the plugs needed to be replaced so frequently. I myself recognized that I may not be entirely familiar with the protocol for spark plug replacement for my vehicle which is why I went ahead and had them replaced. Not to mention that by having those replaced, the mehanics would then be able to rule out any issue that would potentially arise from faulty spark plugs. Thanks for the affirmation that replacing the plugs was a good move.

#3 ·
With the amount of mileage on yours i say the plugs were needed to change. You said you replaced the battery correct? Have you had any issues with the coil packs? Those are known to go bad and cause all kind of issues with the engine only running of 3 cylinders.

Having the turbo replaced 3 times is a bit much.
@starscream5000 knows a fair amount about turbos. Im tagging him to see what he thinks.

Im also wondering if the jump start fried the BCM (Body Control Module).

#9 ·
Correct, Bullfrog. I did replace the battery. And as far as the cool packs, if they are having issues, I am not aware of it. Moreover, I am not familiar with the kinds of problems that would arise from malfunctioning coil packs.

Regarding the turbo, the mechanic that replaced the turbo the third time, mentioned to me that after running the vehicle for long periods of time and/or running it harder than usual followed by immediately turning off the vehicle (aka not letting it idle for at least 10 mins prior to killing the engine), will cause crystallization of oil in the turbo. He said this would explain the oil I had dripping from my exhaust. But I don't know how accurate that statement of his was.

#21 ·
there is this one that I like to use for example:
Auto part Car

and there is also this one I like to use as well...

#5 ·
I would have to assume that all three times the turbo was replaced they DID NOT replace the boost solenoid (which is the actual cause of the p0299 "low boost" code) The MAP is the sensor that sits on top of the cold side intercooler pipe... Right side, next to the battery (very simple install!) Outside of that, i would have to agree with @Bullfrog that your BCM/PCM could be fried... I know that there IS an update for the turbo model's PCM which help alot of issues that people are dealing with ie... what you are dealing with. I cannot say for sure but try a different dealership/ mechanic and see what they have to say about it! GOOD LUCK! let us know if you have any other questions!

#19 ·
Yes I believe it is called something like a Turbo Timer. It does exactly this.

As for @madisondsmith, I had an issue with my map sensor (2015 GT 2.4). While it's not the same engine, when I was using the RoadRace spectrum tuner from my previous 2.0L, it was not happy at all. Every other start it would start into limp mode. It did not rev over 3k (manual so there is no limiter on the car). I read the codes and they were related to the map sensor. So, while all the electrical issues you are having might not be entirely related, a map sensor issue will put the car in limp mode like you were experiencing. I ended up getting a 2.4 specific tuner for my car and not an issue since. So something must be slightly different in the map sensors or the way they programmed the tuner at road race in the map sensor plug.

#20 ·
From my understanding, the 1.4 has 2 MAP sesnors. One on the cold side intercooler pipe, and one on the intake manifold. Not sure which on the dealer is wanting you to have replaced, but it sounds like you need a new body control module. I would try unhooking both + and - battery terminals for a couple hours and see if that hard reset will fix any of the malfunctioning component issues you're having.

#22 ·
***UPDATE***

First off, thanks again to everyone for taking the time to comment - all very helpful/informative inputs!

Second, finally got around to having the damn thing towed to San Marcos Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram.
Apparently the alternator is out, a fuse was blown, and something about a melted fuse block from when that fuse blew?

Not sure what that last part was about to be honest. All I could hear was, "the alternator is out...$1184.04..."

And of course this diagnosis comes with the timeless "more repairs may be needed but we need to rule this out first" phrase that I know so many of us hold near & dear to our heart *scoffs* (I mean, I do get it. It's a process of elimination...but damn if it isn't one of the most infuriating/disheartening things to hear.)

So, in summary...
Alternator needs replacing and I still do not have a definitive answer regarding the original catalyst for this post.

Stay tuned for more from The Dodge Van **** Show!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.