Dodge Dart Forum banner

How much boost is safe?

Tags
boost safe
11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  starscream5000 
#1 ·
Hey, I have a 1.4 with an aftermarket intake, and hot and cold pipes. I noticed a considerable gain in boost pressure just from doing those. I also have a bigger front mount to replace the OEM one, which i doubt that will create any more boost, but you never know. My question is, do any of you know how much boost these motors can handle with the factory internals? My readings said that the car was peaking at 18 PSI and running a steady 15 PSI factory. Then after the intake and stuff it's peaking at 22 PSI and holding steady at 18 PSI. I'd like to get a little more out of it, but I don't want to break anything.

#5 ·
it tries to hit power targets, the pressure will change as the ambient temperature changes, well it might take a few drive cycles to compensate, it may not try to alter the targets in real time, but 18 is really on the low side for a dart. the abarths run about that and make only 170lb/ft torque. it's all computer controlled so unless you have a serious malfunction or have some sort of boost controller/piggyback system it's running as it's designed to. some guys have had the pressure up to 27psi without failure. tork experimented with 30+ but the engines safety systems all start to kick in without ecu tuning.

generally better intercooling will bring the pressure down a bit.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info! I kind of figured that with the bigger intercooler I would loose a little boost because theres more area to fill, but then I was thinking that the air would be cooler and more dense so it would cause more boost. This is my first boosted car, so I'm learning as I go.

#10 ·
You can't use a boost controller on the Dart in stock form, it will go into limp mode. The computer controls boost. That being said, the car will boost anywhere from 18-25(ish) psi stock, depending on the IATs, fuel, knock, etc. To hit the pre-programmed power levels the computer was tuned for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.