Dodge Dart Forum banner

clicking sound when turbo is engaging

12K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  dan 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, so you may have seen my P0299 thread where the check engine light came on once, i lost boost and within a day and a few drive cycles the CEL went away like many other people are experiencing. my car also lost boost again later that week but didnt get any CEL. after restarting the car, problem went away. after researching and getting some help from people on here, it sounds a lot like the turbo solenoid that may be to blame.

so ever since that first CEL came on, i've (on very rare occasions) have heard what sounds like an electric clicking sound from the engine when i'm accelerating and the turbo starts to kick in. it only lasts for a second or two, i dont feel like i'm losing power at all. it only happens when the engine is under load.

any ideas?

#2 ·
ok, so you may have seen my P0299 thread where the check engine light came on once, i lost boost and withing a day and a few drive cycles the CEL went away like many other people are experiencing. my car also lost boost again later that week but didnt get any CEL. after restarting the car, problem went away. after researching and getting some help from people on here, it sounds a lot like the turbo solenoid that may be to blame.

so ever since that first CEL came on, i've (on very rare occasions) have heard what sounds like an electric clicking sound from the engine when i'm accelerating and the turbo starts to kick in. it only lasts for a second or two, i dont feel like i'm losing power at all. it only happens when the engine is under load.

any ideas?
Describes exactly what my car was doing.... I have to get my turbo replaced, I also had the same code as you. And sadly you can't buy the solenoid by itself you have to buy the whole turbo. Which in my opinion is really stupid

#21 ·
I've experienced the same sound as the op on a few occasions over the last 35000kms. Only happens in warmer temps and wot... @ChikatyChina@ has aslo had this happen. It happens so randomly when it does happen its basically impossible to reproduce with the dealer. It sounds like a playing card in a bicycle wheel... No cel any times with mine.

#23 ·
Sounds like pinging maybe. My VW does this all the time when I floor it because we have 91 octane gas and it is a 93-100 octane tune (self adjusting). Try running some 100% toluene in your gas and see it if goes away like it does in my tuned VW 1.8T. Never go above a 20% toluene/80% gas mixture though. I ran it for about 40,000 miles straight in my VW with zero harm, but fill the tank 1/2 full of gas first, then the T, then gas to full. I learned about toluene from the Porsche turbo community, plus BMW won the F1 Championship using approx. 73% toulene mix: 1.5L engine = 1,500 bhp. :p

(Don't get that stuff on you though!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.