Dodge Dart Forum banner

I think I figured out hao Starscream5000 does it.

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  starscream5000 
#1 ·
I noticed that I can get my DDCT to manually shift into 4th gear at 22 mph. Normally in "D" I am in second gear at 22 mph when I accelerate normally . Nuts!

(Amazingly the car doesn't lug when I do it).

#6 ·
With the exception of maybe 1st, you don't ever get above 2k rpm unless you hit highway speeds do you?

#10 ·
Getting over 44 mpg on average.

#13 ·
i can get into 6th at 35mph. but in needs a down shift to 4th if there is a hill. despite that i drive this way the small things add up. i can get 45+ mpg on some roads but never got a 40mpg tank. 39 a couple times but by the end of the week i always have some driving that brings me down to 33-39.. the 235 tires and 8" wide rims didn't help either. i think there is some more areo drag with the wheels. they aren't shrouded by the fenders as much as stock. next time i'll get 215/50r17 or sell the rims and get 16x7" of the same style (andros spec d) with 215/55r16 rubber..... but hey the 235s sure look good.

#18 ·
The gear ratios for all of the 2013 Dart transmissions are listed here.

Here are the specs for the C635 manual:

1st 3.90
2nd 2.11
3rd 1.36
4th 0.97
5th 0.75
6th 0.62
Reverse 4.0
Final-drive Ratio 4.11 with 1.4L engine
Overall Top gear 2.54 with 1.4L engine

And here they are for the C635 DDCT:

1st 4.15
2nd 2.26
3rd 1.44
4th 0.97
5th 0.75
6th 0.62
Reverse 4.0
Final-drive Ratio 4.43 with 1.4L engine
Overall Top gear 2.75 with 1.4L engine

For fun, here are the specs for the Powertec 6F24:

1st 4.21
2nd 2.64
3rd 1.80
4th 1.39
5th 1.00
6th 0.77
Reverse 3.29
Final-drive Ratio 3.20 with 2.0L engine and 2.4L engine
Overall Top gear 2.46 with 2.0L engine and 2.4L engine

So, not only does the DDCT have a shortest final drive of any Dart transmission, the first 3 gears are also shorter than in the manual, which I found surprising, since they are essentially the same gearbox with a different clutch system attached. Seeing as I drive one every day, I can tell you that 1st gear on the DDCT is short to the point of absurdity. It could also do with an even taller 7th gear for highway cruising.

#21 ·
Don't forget the engine mods and also lighter than stock rims make a big difference too

-pitajr

#23 ·
Shorter gears doesn't always equate to faster times with turbo cars. The turbo likes to have more time to stay in boost. So if you keep shifting that's more time out of boost/slower times.

With the neon crowd we have 3 different gear sets you could have and everyone that has turbos on their cars want the 3.55/.72 trans. There's also 3.94/.72 and 3.94/.81.

#26 ·
Next to my Ultragauge, the DRP intercooler pipes were the best MPG mod I've seen to-date. I got a 3-4 MPG increase after putting the intercooler pipes on. The only performance mod I've some that has hurt my MPGa was removing 6 of the AGS shutters. All other performance mods have increased my MPGs.

#25 · (Edited)
are we saying the manual car is faster or the ddct? the ddct has a deeper first gear as well as final drive, i remember having the specs but can't seem to find the official mopar source. there is also this page which seems pretty close to what i remember reading. i would be surprised if the manual could keep up. but there are reasons the ddct might not work out perfectly. it's about power vs mph really. you can talk torque all day but torque doesn't get you velocity. deeper gears mean you have to shift sooner. and the spread is even wider so you pull the engine down to an rpm where there may be some power loss...

basically when you move an object with wheels and not thrust the velocity is part of the power equation. what happens is the faster you go the less you can accelerate no matter what. which ever setup that maintains the highest hp average for the change in speed will accelerate faster. while a deeper gear may be looked at as having more pushing force it can also be looked at as getting to peak hp sooner. this is often benneficial but if you look at a dyno of the dart the torque is a big hump and then drops as rpm increases making the power sit level over a wide range of speed. you can get 90% or so of peek power at only 4000 rpm and keep that to 6500. so if the gears work out that the engine can stay in this range the only difference is in the hole shot. the ddct has fast shifts and hits peak power sooner, but the manual has no smoothing allowing you to unload inertial into the wheels. a deep first gear might seem ideal but then you end up farther from the power peak when you hit the next gear. the dart makes so much average power it might not matter. but generally more rpm drop is less average power and might slow the acceleration down.

traditional autos on the other hand have a torque converter with a stator and the way they are designed they act a little like a gear reduction drive when they slip increasing torque by as much as 2.5 times. they don't need as much first gear or final drive because the torque converter can produce a lot of force to get the car rolling. that force comes with power loss, the rpm loss in slippage works out to a lot more than the torque increase so a deep gear can still be bennificial allowing them to use a lower stall speed and get into a coupled or even locked mode sooner. but needless to say the gear profile for a true auto is much different from a manual..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.